Coors Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricT

Reaction score
Just acquired a Coors keg from a neighbor (which is one of the fat ones) that had it in his garage for a while. After looking at the keggles around here I noticed most or almost all are Budweiser which are not as wide in the middle. Is this a preference, availability issue or what? I am just using mine for a boiling pot so I dont have to worry about boil overs in my 30Qt. I may end up using it for a MLT in the future but am using an igloo cooler for now for my mash. Just curious I guess. :eek:

Like shawnguinn said, the Coors kegs work great. I use one for my boil kettle. How he found one without dents is beyond me, though. That bulge seems to be a dent magnet.

Thanks for the replies. Mine is in perfect condition for the time being but I could see the bulge gettting pretty banged up over time.

Here's my Coors keggle. It works great.
1205091057a.jpg

I'm glad to hear that Coors kegs work fine, it is hard to find kegs in my area and I just picked up one for cheap. However, I think I found a second straight-edged keg so it doesn't really matter now!

They work fine but the bulge does make sight glasses more difficult.

Yeah, I just got a sight glass from Bobby_M. It clears the bulge when I use a tee between the kettle and thermometer. Unfortunately my thermometer is higher than I would like. Think I'll have another coupling welded in lower. A street elbow should offer good clearance, I would think.

i just obtained 3 kegs, 1 straight, 2 bulge. If you have the option, using the bulge would be better for liquids and not the mash. So either the BK or HLT would be fine. I have read that you do sacrifice efficiency when your MLT is anything but a straight walled cylinder. my guess being that the bulge pools more wort around the perimeter of the grain and less filtration through the middle. I dont know if there is any proven science behind it, but it makes sense, and if it can be easily avoided, why not.

I still am not happy with the look of 2 bulge and 1 straight. I think on monday i'm gonna make a few stops at some local stores and see if they'd be willing to swap out. Doubtful but who knows.

i started a thread similar to this a week ago...check it out:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/3-sankes-70-craigs-list-183047/

Back