Sharing Hop Space with my Veggies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I'm just north of the Jersey border. Williams has my 9 Rhizomes en-route and the landscaper will be dropping 4 yards early next week. Now the question:

Is it ok to share the soil bed with my vegetables, or should this be avoided?

Also, do small animals like to eat hops or hop plants?

Thanks in advance

:mug:

They probably should have their own space due to their extensive root systems and the fact that they suck up a lot of nutrients which your vegetables need to grow. Yes some animals will eat hops, like bugs. :)

Hops are extremely vigorous and will take a lot of nutrients from your garden vegetables. If you grow them in close proximity to each other you'll need to fertilize accordingly.

I'm on my third year and nothing has eaten any yet. My biggest concern this year is a new puppy who thinks every stick is his whether it's attached to the ground or not.

Tom

I plan on planting some veggies near my hops as well. I am a first year hop grower. I was also wondering about the animals eating my chutes.... I have a lot of rabbis in my neighborhood and was concerned about them. I just planted my rhizomes today and plan on wrapping a chicken wire fence around each hill to be on the safe side. Can't wait to see these puppies break ground!:mug:

I plan on planting some veggies near my hops as well. I am a first year hop grower. I was also wondering about the animals eating my chutes.... I have a lot of rabbis in my neighborhood and was concerned about them. I just planted my rhizomes today and plan on wrapping a chicken wire fence around each hill to be on the safe side. Can't wait to see these puppies break ground!:mug:

Is it against Talmudic law to grow hops? Maybe you can get one of them to bless your plant and you'll have kosher beer? ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

My biggest concern this year is a new puppy who thinks every stick is his whether it's attached to the ground or not.

Tom

I've heard that they are poisonous to dogs, so be careful with your new pup.

I've heard that rabbits will eat them, but my neighbor's rabbits never bothered my hop plants.

we had cottontails running wild everywhere at my old place and they didn't even touch my hops.

I've heard that they are poisonous to dogs, so be careful with your new pup.

The flowers are poisonous to dogs, but not the plant.

The risk to dogs comes from people discarding their spent hops in the garden or compost pile. I doubt there's a dog alive that would chow down on fresh hops, but they sure will go after cooked ones soaked in wort.

Tom

Once your hop plants are 5-6 feet talk, you can strip the leaves off the lowest 3 feet. This will give the other plants more sun.

Back