Indoor safe Half Barrel Brew systems, lets see what you've got!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rad-Rabbit

Reaction score
I looking into building a half barrel brewing system. I love the idea of a Brutus type system (for outdoors/garage) but was thinking about something like the Brew Tree all electric system to keep things indoor safe.

Lets see what has been built that is indoor safe with a half barrel capacity. Please include a explanation of how your system operates along with system requirements.

Here is a link to some heating elements
Immersion Electric Hot Water Heating Elements and Coils

My RIMs is safe with a window or 3 open.
The_Nanobruery.JPG
And just to make sure, I post a canary.
jude_019.JPG

I just could not see myself brewing inside my house. The steam coming off it wouls soak everything. More power to those that do though.

I just could not see myself brewing inside my house. The steam coming off it wouls soak everything. More power to those that do though.

I'm worried about this as well, that's why I am putting a vented range hood over the HLT and brewpot and ducting it outside.

My system is electric (Getting there...) but only 10 gal capacity as I use converted kegs.

The pics above are probably not considered a "safe" system. At a minimum, you want some way to evacuate the steam and fumes as well as bring in fresh air. 2 blower fans, 2 CO monitors, a hood, and a waterproof floor would be a good start.....as well as a fire extinguisher!

I live in Chicago, and believe me....I'd LOVE an indoor system.....but really, I still think it's easier to throw on some Carhartts, rubber boots, and a jacket and brew in 5F weather than it is to worry about burning the house down or taking an involuntary nap on the floor........

I don't understand the idea of posting this link. Most likely the people you're asking to post indoor systems, already have them if needed.
Here is a link to some hot dog buns.

I'm looking for information. It was to show an example of the types of heating elements I was looking into. I was hoping to find others that use this element or other types to show me examples of electric indoor safe systems. But if you feel the need to be condescending, go ahead.
BTW- thanks for boosting your thread count, great contribution.

I'm looking for information. It was to show an example of the types of heating elements I was looking into. I was hoping to find others that use this element or other types to show me examples of electric indoor safe systems. But if you feel the need to be condescending, go ahead.
BTW- thanks for boosting your thread count, great contribution.

Dude, just let it go.

Well it looks like I found some information from: WOP31
I figure I'll add it to this post in the event someone aside from me is looking for some help.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/7985-NewKettles5Edit.jpg

I have an electric HLT and can say from experience that as long as you do the proper research and follow proper & safe practices with it, anyone can build/use one. That being said, find a local Mom & Pop Hardware store, you know the kind where it looks like they have stuff on the shelves from 1952. In my experience the folks that own/operate these type of hardware stores have more knowledge about the products they sell and they are more likely to spend the time with you discussing the proper way to do things rather than the "big box stores"

I have two 1500 Watt, 110 Volt Elements in my HLT and can maintain 10 gallons of water at a rolling boil with ~35 deg ambient air temps. I brew out side and have seen first hand that it is possible. Not saying that it will be kind to your electric bill though.

A few considerations when building/operating an electric HLT/kettle:

1. Always plug the elements (if there are more then one) in to separate circuits in the house. (seperate outlets that run off of different circuit breakers in the box) In an apartment you may need to plug one into a kitchen outlet and one into a bedroom or living room outlet to achieve that. A GFCI outlet is preferred, it would be an outlet that has the little buttons in the middle. Most places it is code to have them in the kitchen as well as the bathrooms, may vary in different areas though.

2. Make sure that all electrical connections inside and outside of the HLT are well sealed. Mine are sealed on the inside with high temp o-rings and the outside is all sealed up with high temp silicone.

3. Leak check everything prior to initial use, and always inspect before using. Fill up the kettle with water and let it sit for a couple of days to see if water is leaking out of the inner fittings, before sealing up the outside.

4. THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT! NEVER NEVER NEVER leave an extension cord coiled up while using the HLT! Did i mention NEVER do this. It will act as a big inductor and build up heat from the current flow. I know this from experience as well. I should have known better as i am an electronics technician, but none the less i made the mistake and melted a cord, luckily we discovered our mistake before anything bad happened.

Here is a picture of mine if you would like more specs on it PM me:

Outside:
7985-NewKettles4Edit.jpg

Inside:
7985-NewKettles5Edit.jpg

Cheers

I've got my system set up to use a 30 amp dryer outlet. Theoretically I could take my HLT or boil kettle and do a BIAB system at someone else's house if I wanted to be mobile. For the most part it is all getting nicely set up in the basement. I'll be getting pictures. I will do a test run this weekend I hope. I'll also be adding in more refinements as I go.I already bought a range hood to vent the moisture, will add in a spigot from my filtered (or RO water) right over the HLT.

Latest posts

Back