Recipe Suggestions - Crystal 150

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSUConrad

Reaction score
I received about 40 lbs of curshed crystal 150. Anyone have any ideas for brews that would use a lot of this?

I have it in a giant ziplock bag, but am worried about how fresh it is based on how it was stored by the person that gave it to me.

The ESB recipe in my dropdown uses 0.25 lbs of it. So the bad news is it won't really make much of a dent in your supply. But the good news is if you really like the recipe you can make it A LOT!

Join a local brew club or post in classifieds to sell or swap it with other brewers for other grains. I do this to get things I need and for others to get some of what I have.

Who still does 150? I thought no American maltsters did, and I was under the impression that the British firm that did no longer roasted it. Am I wrong?

Munton's does a 135-165 L crystal. If they've stopped producing it I hadn't heard. I've found it in my LHBS stock as recently as last week.

Munton's does a 135-165 L crystal. If they've stopped producing it I hadn't heard. I've found it in my LHBS stock as recently as last week.

My LHBS has that as "Dark British Crystal" It's good stuff, I use it in my bitters along with the "British Crystal" which is about 70L

You could always sell some in the classified section.

Forty pounds, crushed, is a lot of crystal to have on hand. I'd vacuum pack that stuff fairly quick and stick it in the freezer so that it doesn't go stale.

I received about 40 lbs of curshed crystal 150. Anyone have any ideas for brews that would use a lot of this?

I have it in a giant ziplock bag, but am worried about how fresh it is based on how it was stored by the person that gave it to me.

:off: Where do you get a Ziplock that holds 40 lbs of crushed grain? I gotta get me one of those for the rest of my 50lb sack of 2 row.

Terje

Target by the normal ziplock bags. They are label XXL and come 3 to a box.

And by the look of the grain in it, I bet you could get 60lbs+ in one bag.

Back