Realistic FG for OG 1.065 DIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makislav

Reaction score
Brewing a 15l DIPA batch with the following recipe:

2 cans of Cooper's Real Ale
LOTS of hops, East Kent Golding and Fuggles, boiled for bitterness for 45min
A little bit of Saaz, boiled for 0min (I am thinking to dry hop with it in the secondary, too)
2 Cooper's yeast packs with a 2-day yeast starter made from dextrose and DME
Fermentation temperature around 21c(70F)

Tasted the worth, and the doubble IPA bitterness seems to be there.

What do you think would be a realistic FG? I would like to reach at 1.010 but I think that since there is very little of sugar in the brew (the fermentables consists mainly of LME) I might not get so low.

I am thinking to let it ferment in the primary for two weeks, then rack to secondary for a week.

since its all extract, probably like 1.016

fyi, its generally not recommended to use simple sugars in starters.

True, you have less control over the fermentability of extracts; however, when I used to brew with extract I could get down to 1.010-1.013ish with my IPAs. The key is to use high quality extract, limit unfermentables in your recipe (don't go crazy with crystal malt or carapils), and have a healthy and controlled fermentation (adequate pitching rate, healthy yeast, precise temp control, and adequate nutrients). Simple sugars can be a nice tool to use as well (but not in your starter).

It looks like you brewed already. It's hard to estimate where your gravity will end without your recipe and fermentation profile.

This is to late, but I will add this. Dry yeast should be rehydrated in water before using it in a starter.

Back