yep, heard it again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loftybrewer

Reaction score
I know there are tons of threads on this, I just thought this was funny:

National homebrew day was Saturday and the LHBS had a big event. A bunch of demos going on. One cat was doing a baltic porter kit demo. Mind you, the audience was mostly inexperienced and complete novice brewers. He emphasized that "You do NOT want to squeeze the specialty grain bag as it drains! You will release tannins and ruin the beer! You're going to want to, but don't. TRUST ME," he said.

So this one time, at band camp, I used chocolate and black malts and actually wanted tannins so I f***ing boiled the pi$$ out of it and squeezed it dry and I didn't get noticeable tannins. No joke.

My LHBS is a GREAT LHSB with one minor flaw....it's run by winemakers!

These guys are expert winemakers, but they're pretty bad when it comes to beermaking advise. When I first started going there, I would hear them spouting out BADDDDDD outdated advice to the brewers, but I kept my cool and ignored it.

Once I started to know the employees and owner, I started correcting them when they gave bad advice, and for the most part, they appreciated the education! Definitely speak up next time, at worst, you'll have a stubborn dinosaur with hurt feelings, at best, he'll appreciate having the current info!

BTW, a great comeback to anyone spouting bad info is to direct them to HBT! There's bad info on here as well, but it's pounced on pretty quickly, so if you just learn to follow the majority, you can find a good answer to any question here!

Party on, Garth :rockin:

I stopped by Simply on Saturday afternoon. Were you there brewing? One guy was brewing on a brew stand. One guy had a kit going. There was a guy set up inside using a brewing system from Blichmann.

Ever since that Judge got onto me, I NEVER squeeze my bag in public. He was pretty clear what the consequences would be.

Ever since that Judge got onto me, I NEVER squeeze my bag in public. He was pretty clear what the consequences would be.

Swelling, infection, amputation, and chronic bachelorhood?

Yep Vlad, I was there - I was one of the novice brewers in attendance! It was really awesome, I wish I could have hung out longer. Anyways, I'm only in this a year and a half. I'm sure the guy knows plenty more than I do. However, there is clearly one thing I know that he doesn't. hashtag #learneditonhomebrewtalk.com

Also, in my opinion it is better when someone else squeezes your bag

Back