Racking stuck beer on a different yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swillbur

Reaction score
I have an imperial stout that is stuck at 1.050. OG was 1.120 and i checked it two weeks ago and again today, still the same. I have a rye IPA that is about done, should i rack my stout onto this cake to see if it gets going again? I was hoping for 1.040 at the worst.

At this point you have three choices. Bottle and drink thick, viscous sludge. Repitch/yeast cake it or hit it with Enzymes to try and break down the starches that didn't get converted in the mash. I would personally transfer onto the new yeast cake and see what happens over the next few weeks then consider hitting it with Amylase Enzymes if it doesn't budge.

What was the recipe?

I am having the same problem.

I brewed a Brewers Best Milk Stout a little over two weeks ago. It started at 1.062. It is now stuck at 1.030.

The original yeast was the Danstar that came with the kit. It has been at a steady 66-68 degrees.

I bottled an IPA yesterday and racked the stout on to the yeast cake and gave it a stir. One full day later and nothing is happening. No bubbles, no change in gravity.

I am going to try and get it a little warmer and maybe that will wake them up.

If that doesn't work my next step was going to be adding a small amount of Corn Sugar to try and give them a kick start. Would that be a bad thing?

I do have a pack of Safale US-05. If I don't have any progress after a few days should I rack it into another Ale Pail and repitch or can I just repitch into the same FV.

Sorry for the hijack Swillbur but we are kind of in the same boat.

I am having the same problem.

I brewed a Brewers Best Milk Stout a little over two weeks ago. It started at 1.062. It is now stuck at 1.030.

The original yeast was the Danstar that came with the kit. It has been at a steady 66-68 degrees.

I bottled an IPA yesterday and racked the stout on to the yeast cake and gave it a stir. One full day later and nothing is happening. No bubbles, no change in gravity.

I am going to try and get it a little warmer and maybe that will wake them up.

If that doesn't work my next step was going to be adding a small amount of Corn Sugar to try and give them a kick start. Would that be a bad thing?

I do have a pack of Safale US-05. If I don't have any progress after a few days should I rack it into another Ale Pail and repitch or can I just repitch into the same FV.

Sorry for the hijack Swillbur but we are kind of in the same boat.

FWIW, I had a beer that had about the same OG and stuck at about .030 when I was expecting <.015 or so. I rehydrated a pack of Champaign yeast and pitched it into the same FV. It kicked back off and finished around .010-dryer than I planned but it was still pretty tasty...

I've re-pitched directly into the primary in the past and didn't notice any problems...

As for transfering onto the IPA yeast, I would certainly go for it and see what happens. With the high gravity beer, you may need a yeast that can handle the higher alcohol content...not entirely sure on this though...

Good luck! :mug:

Well i racked onto that cake about 20 hours ago and im getting one big bubble every 45 seconds so it appears this is working.

I'm currently reading Yeast and I think I read something on this last night. If I'm not mistaken, the authors says that the high alcohol content makes it difficult for the yeast to wake back up. A suggestion offered was to make a starter and pitch at high krausen. The theory goes that with the yeast already active, the newer batch has a fighting chance at fermenting out. Their example was for a stuck fermentation that was only a few points away though. I'll check after work to make sure the info is correct. Anyway, it seems you got it back going again anyway, so Cheers!

Back