Saving Money Brewing with Coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stimulus

Reaction score
I like to brew my wheats with a little coriander (or sometimes a lot) I like to use between a half ounce to a whole ounce; sometimes even more than that.

I used to have a hard time finding the whole coriander and was getting it at the LHBS at $2 an ounce. I finally got around to looking online, and Amazon has 3 pounds in seperate one pound bag for 11 bucks. I would be paying a hundred bucks for that much coriander from the LHBS, so this seemed like something I wanted to pass along.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VNGH4I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you not have a Mr Bulky's or other Bulk food place where you live? If you are paying more than a few pennies/ounce for any spices you are getting ripped off.

We've got a costco and a bjs and neither of them have coriander! I think one of them or sams club or something had powder, which I didn't want to try. It seemed way to hard to find whole coriander seeds around here!

Have any Asian or Indian markets in your area?

They yend to stock more whole spices than you could ever imagine. And are a great source of other potential experimental ingredients.

We've got a costco and a bjs and neither of them have coriander! I think one of them or sams club or something had powder, which I didn't want to try. It seemed way to hard to find whole coriander seeds around here!

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?q=Aian+markets+in+Raleigh+NC&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1#q=Asian+markets+in+Raleigh+NC&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&prmd=ivmc&source=univ&tbs=plcs:1&tbo=u&ei=L7f_TNn_Lsb_lge--8i2CA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CC0QtQMwAA&fp=e18ec2db23988f7d[/ame]

I think that would be a cool way to check out some other spices to play with! Any recomendations?

They yend to stock more whole spices than you could ever imagine. And are a great source of other potential experimental ingredients.

I agree. There's a ton of Bangladesh, Indian, Asian and Polish markets in Hamtramck (A 1 mile square ethnic "enclave" in the heart of Detroit) and they have amazing stiff.

I'm gonna be bottling my sri lankin stout with Jaggery Molasses. I got a huge jar for a couple bucks.

Stimulus, Mexican groceries are great places as well. They tend to sell spices for dirt cheap as well.

This.

For a while the local Asian market had raw barley, too. As cheap as it was, it gave me a chance to see just how bad I was at making malt.

Back