A triumph in homebrewing: juniper-pale-wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stpierre

Reaction score
I wanted to boast a moment about one of my first real outstanding brews; thanks for bearing with me.

This winter, I wanted to do something with juniper; it sounded festive. But I wanted to soften the blow so I didn't make something that tasted like turpentine. Wikipedia tells us that two common botanicals in gin are bitter orange and coriander -- a combination I naturally recognized from Belgian wits.

So, starting with a Pale Ale kit from my local brew shop, I added a half ounce each of crushed juniper, bitter orange peel, and coriander. Poured warm into a frosty, the end result is stupidly good. It's a wonderful swirl of delicious flavors making sweet love in your mouth. Admittedly, some folks don't like the taste of the juniper, and I think it could have used a bit more coriander, but all in all a good start.

Anyone have any other recommendations for good juniper brews?

The local brew shop had them dried. I'd be interested to try fresh, or better yet, a Finnish sahti sparged over the boughs. I'm not quite up for all-grain as yet, though, so that could be a while.

Hey, I know this is an older thread. But I'm looking for ideas in making a Rye Juniper Belgian-ish ale (similar to a Sahti, but I'm not set up for all-grain yet). The additions of juniper, bitter orange and coriander sound great - I assume these were added either near the end of the boil or at flameout?

Thanks!!

I just bottled a juniper rye ale (sort of an American amber base with 1.5# rye, an ounce of juniper berries at flameout and lower hops). Recipe here. Juniper is a great spice for so many styles, but I never thought of adding it to a wit - that's definitely going on the list!

Back