Got a sourdough starter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
woohoo! One of my coworkers brought it in for me today.

Share your favorite sourdough recipes! I'd love to try sourdough pancakes! We're heading up to hwmbo's parents' cabin with them this week/weekend and I wanna make something delicious!

Sourdough pizzas are awesome.
Here's what I use:
1 1/2 c Sourdough starter
1 T olive oil
1 t Salt
1 1/2 c Flour

mix together to form a soft dough. cover it and let rest for 1/2 hour. Then form the pies. I usually prebake a bit before topping them. I cook them on a 550F pizza stone.

I love sourdough. I make the basic bread recipe here: Sourdough Bread: How To Begin (easy sourdough for the beginner or novice)

Lately I've been taking cheese and other adjuncts and kneeding it into the bread. 6oz of shredded chipotle cheddar (winco has been carrying it lately) comes out really good. Another favorite has been 6oz of shredded monterey jack cheese and 1-2tbsp horseradish

I have to loaves of sourdough rising right now. I started my starter about 3 weeks ago. Really simple to start.

The bread:

2T sugar
2.5 tsp salt
1.5 cups starter
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup cold water
4-5 cups bread flour

Scald the milk, add sugar and salt to dissolve. Add cold water to cool mixture. When mixture is luke warm, add to mixer with starter and 3 cups bread flour. Mix together and work in another cup of flour. Then add just enough flour to make a soft dough. Coat in oil and let rise until doubled. Punch down and split into two loaves. Let rise again then bake at 400F for 25 minutes.

Had you simply asked....I'd have sent you some Colorado Sour....
Colorado Cowboy biscuits
BISCUITS:
1 c starter
1/4 c melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 c flour
Mix all ingredients. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut and place on greased sheet. Bake in 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits.
Don't forget to feed your starter after you take some out for baking.

sourdough pancakes from the Tassajara bread book:

night before, mix 2.5 cups whole wheat flour, 2 cups water and .5 cup starter.

In the morning
add 1 egg beaten
2 TBS. oil
3/4-1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 TBS. brown sugar

Mix dough thoroughly with egg, oil, and milk. Combine salt soda, and brown
sugar and sprinkle over batter. Fold in gently. Let sit a few minutes before frying.

My notes: You can use regular unbleached all purpose flour. Tassajara is pretty earthy crunchy originally written in the 1970's by an American Zen Buddhist monk. The whole wheat is nice but it will work either way.

As for bread...

my simple standby is in bakers percentages (so you can scale anyway you want) this will depend somewhat on whether your starter is thin batter or a firm dough. I tend to keep a firm dough starter as it favors the acetic bacteria.

Starter the day before.

100% High gluten flour
89% starter
11% water

Final dough
Starter +
100% Bread flour (something in the 11% protein range or so King Arthur AP flour will fit the bill)
64 % Water
2.5 % salt

a few tips. I have found that the starter and bread have really improvd since I have started using water from a natural spring. You do not have to do the same exactly but be aware of your source. My town water is WICKED chlorinated. Even with a fresh carbon filter (under the sink unit) it still has some chlorine. The starter is much happier without it.

It helps to feed the starter twice daily a week in advance prior to making your dough. Despite what may be said it does not matter where your starter comes from it will adapt to your environment. Meaning, you won't be able to maintain a "San Francisco" sourdough starter unless you live in SF.

Have fun!

I was bummed when my Boudin starter died after moving to Oregon. Google san fransisco sour dough and you'll get Boudin Bakery as the first hit.

Back