Pin-lock Keg "Out" tube stuck...suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkristofo

Reaction score
So I recently received 5 kegs as part of a massive bit of brewing equipment 2 friends left when they abandoned Utah. Woot for me. But, alas, there's a problem.

4 of the kegs are ball-lock, from one friend, and I have completely disassembled them with ease. This thread has been a tremendous help. The fifth keg, however, is a pin-lock. I got the valve off the top of the dip tube, but the tube itself will not come out. I think the other friend over-tightened and there's some o-ring stuck inside. I've pulled/pushed on it from the inside with a pair of pliers, tried to help pry it up with a screwdriver, and smacked it on the side with a hammer to try to loosen it. Is there a trick here? Is the pin-lock dip tube assembled differently? Any tips on how to get a stuck dip-tube out?

Also on the topic of kegs, can you convert a pin-lock to a ball-lock easily, or are the threads different?

As always, Cheers!

-Kris

You might try a heat gun on it. I would be hesitant to use any solvent on it. I don't know if you can convert it, but if you can do it, otherwise, I would sell it to someone who has a bunch of pin locks. If the lid fits the other kegs, you still have value in it.

findthefish - Looks like I'm in luck for cornelius to cornelius conversion. I just need to order new posts. Woohoo.

Good call on the heat gun, Ed. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

-Kris

You may try putting some oxy clean and hot water in the keg. Let it soak a while then put a bucket over the top of the keg, then turn both upside downand let it soak like that for a while.

Sean

An afternoon sitting in the sun freed it up nicely. No heat-gun needed. After a disassembly, wash with PBW, and a swap of posts I now have 5 ball-lock kegs. Woohoo! Now only if my tank was back from hydro testing and filling...

Back