the little ladies!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrangler

Reaction score
arrived today - thanks diy! 2 cascades and 2 nuggets. i poured a nice glass of IPA then my little daughter and i got to work in the garden. psyched!

keep the hops clear of chemicals! I wouldn't want miracle grow in my beer. go natural

just felt like I needed to spout

-ander

If want to go with organic fertilizer and bug repellent you can make a manure/compose-tea.

Take two 5 gallon pails. Make yourself a zaptap lauter tun as in Chuck's Good Book. Basically, two pales nested together the top pale is drilled with ton of tiny holes (false bottom). The bottom pale has a hose coming out bottom on the side with a hose clamp attached. The drill hole on the pale is 1/16 smaller than the hose OD. Press fit it into the hole. Wha-la

Take two shovel-fulls of manure/composte add it to your new "Crap Lauter Tun" (CLT) and let steep for 4-5 days in the sun. Then drain into a sprayer and then spray your hop plants regularly. Do so early and before cone formation.

:fro:

Schlenkerla said:
If want to go with organic fertilizer and bug repellent you can make a manure/compose-tea.

Take two 5 gallon pails. Make yourself a zaptap lauter tun as in Chuck's Good Book. Basically, two pales nested together the top pale is drilled with ton of tiny holes (false bottom). The bottom pale has a hose coming out bottom on the side with a hose clamp attached. The drill hole on the pale is 1/16 smaller than the hose OD. Press fit it into the hole. Wha-la

Take two shovel-fulls of manure/composte add it to your new "Crap Lauter Tun" (CLT) and let steep for 4-5 days in the sun. Then drain into a sprayer and then spray your hop plants regularly. Do so early and before cone formation.

:fro:

ok, I've spent a few minutes googling...and found nothing really about this CLT?

I used Miracle Grow to start my rhizomes. That stuff will be gone by the time I transplant. However, I'd def go natural now that it's thawed out, and I could get some good manure. That said, I've seen miracle grow being used for years on garden plants with no noticeable side effects (other than bigger and healthier plants). I have not seen a side-by-side comparison with manure. I'd guess it's probably pretty much the same.

Miracle grow is a fertilizer, not a chemical. Use Miracle grow for vegetables and it should give your hops everything they need. Your not applying the fertilizer to the hop cone itself so there is no danger to you.

Back