1/2" id cfc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyzazz

Reaction score
So I picked up a couple of 50' rolls of 5/8" OD X 1/2" ID copper tubing from Home Depot very cheaply and was thinking of making a CFC. I like the fact that I would have full flow of wort through the CFC for whirlpooling, and the chance of plugging the chiller with pellet hops would be mitigated quite a bit. But I have some concerns regarding the performance of this since I only see 3/8" ID CFC's on the market. Would a 1/2" ID CFC work well? Better than a 3/8" CFC? How long should the CFC be? How large of an ID should the Outer Jacket be?

Thanks all for any opinions or commentary! :tank:

In theory, you will have less wort touching the walls of the copper tubing. It will definitely still work and the idea that it won't clog is a good benefit of the larger tubing. You might have to adjust the flow rate a little bit to achieve sufficient cooling.

*This is all coming from a guy who doesn't use one

I'm coming from using a 15 plate chiller and I've always bagged my hops with a hop spider. I don't want to move backwards in chilling efficiency just to not have to bag my hops. I was looking to upgrade my current chiller (so I sold my 15 plate) and was going to move to a 30 plate 12" long chiller but now I have this tubing so I was thinking of utilizing it. I'm just torn on what I should do I guess. Thanks for chiming in bemerritt!

As mentioned, adjusting your flow rate will help you dial in the best rate of cooling.........Read: slow down the flow, giving it more time to give up it's heat.

I used my home made cfc for the first time 2 days ago. it is a 20 foot 3/"8 I.D. I brewed a pumpkin ale with 2 oz of pellet hops and 16 oz of pumpkin "paste" and towards the last gallon I had a huge issue with clogging. 1/2" I.D. Would have probably resolved this issue.

Back