Bayou Classic 44 quart RUST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrish15

Reaction score
So, I ordered this pot:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXHKMC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

....soaked it in pbw for about an hour when it arrived, then rinsed it out and left it sit overnight to dry before brew day.

The next day there was rust and pitting all over the handle of the lid, and one rust spot toward the upper part of the kettle.

I didn't think stainless steel rusted that easily... or did I do something wrong with it being a new pot?

I've been using stainless steel cookware for years without a problem. Are these pots brushed with stainless steel and maybe too thin?? QUALITY CONTROL?

Thanks

P.S. Searched all over, or I wouldn't post this..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kind of a common misconception that stainless can't rust. Stainless can actually rust, remember it's around 70% iron. During the welding process an iron nodule can come to the surface and begin to rust. What I would recommend is using some Bar Keepers Friend and giving it a good scrub. It has oxalic acid in it which will passivate the weld and should cure the rust issue. More than likely the handle is a 200 or 400 series stainless. It's less expensive and less corrosion resistant but it doesn't touch the wort so it won't cause any issues.

I think I read somewhere not to soak stainless steel for more than 20 minutes in PBW

Thanks guys, I won't go rushing to send it back then..

I called the manufacturer as well and the guy recommended using a product called simple green with their kettles. I haven't looked into it yet, but just an FYI.

I asked the same question of a vendor once. They recommended rubbing the affected area with undiluted Star San and letting it sit for a half hour. Probably something most of us have on hand. They said it would passivate the steel like a lot of the purpose specific products would. Seemed to do the trick.

Get some Bar Keepers Friend. It will take rust right off of stainless. And its super cheap too.

Get some Bar Keepers Friend. It will take rust right off of stainless. And its super cheap too.

I agree. Rust will be there some times. My update international needs bar keepers friend once a month.

Its a good product. Rinse with hot water then dry with a paper towel. The grey/black residue will be the stainless oxidation a new layer from the paper towel.

Back