Spa panel or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageBrewer

Reaction score
I have searched the forums for an answer and haven't seen a definitive answer to my question. I have built an E-HERMS system and am getting ready to provide power to the system. It is a 30 amp system with 5500watt elements, using only one at a time. The problem I have is I cannot find a 30amp GFCI breaker for my breaker box. All stores are out of stock and online as well.

Can I use a standard 30 amp double pole breaker at the breaker box, run the cables to a spa panel with a 50 amp GFCI breaker in it, and plug my control panel into the spa panel as seen in other posts? The spa panel will serve as the GFCI only.

Is this safe? I need help from the electricians on here. I don't want to burn my house down.

I forgot to mention my brewery is to be used outside. I don't have room inside my house for the brewery. If that makes any difference.

Yes, you can use a 30 amp breaker in your main panel, and a 50 amp spa panel GFCI. If you wire with 10AWG, the 30 amp breaker will protect the wire. What you cannot do is use 10 AWG wire and then connect the spa panel to a 50 amp circuit.

Great question...I have been wondering the same thing. Like you (I think) there is no problem finding a 50 amp gfci spa panel with cover etc. Some of the panels I have seen use a 50 amp plug. Would it be best to replace the plug or simply make up own wire cord with a 50 amp plug on it?

Im personally a fan of just using a gfci breaker. it may cost a penny more to do it this way, I just think its neater and easier. Im a electrician for a large service company so its basically free for me.

Yes, you can use a 30 amp breaker in your main panel, and a 50 amp spa panel GFCI. If you wire with 10AWG, the 30 amp breaker will protect the wire. What you cannot do is use 10 AWG wire and then connect the spa panel to a 50 amp circuit.

The wire I used is 10 gauge wire. I am running it off of a 30amp breaker in the breaker box. I have no plans on using a 50 amp circuit. I just want the gfci for protection and the E-stop switch. Thank you for the help.

Im personally a fan of just using a gfci breaker. it may cost a penny more to do it this way, I just think its neater and easier. Im a electrician for a large service company so its basically free for me.

Do you mean a breaker in the main panel?

It's been a while since I updated what I decided to go with. I bought a 50A spa panel from HD and wired up a 30A receptacle on it. I added about 20 feet of 10/4 portable cable to it and attached a 30A plug to the cable. I plug the spa panel into my 30A dryer outlet and then plug my control panel into the spa panel. Already brewed on the system. It worked great for GFI protection. I got to thank P-J and all the other master electric brewery builders here for all the help. If it wan't for all of you all, my project would have never been built. Thanks everybody.

Back