Fermentation Warmer Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a Belgian quad that calls for finishing at 80 to 85F. To those of you that allow your beer to finish warmer, what are you using to warm the wort?

For example, this time of year in Las Vegas, the temp inside the house is around 73, the garage is in the 40s. In the summer time, I could do this in the garage and refrigerate down to 80.

What's the best means to warm a 5 gallon volume of wort to 80 degrees?

I have a few seed starter mats, similar to a waterbed heater but smaller, meant to keep a seed tray warm - like this one
1339919b-414c-4986-a0f0-287340b8043e_300.jpg

The information printed on the front indicates that it's designed to raise soil temperatures about 20 degree F above ambient temperatures.

If controlled from a Johnson A419, would it work? Is there something better?

I use a fermwrap attached to the inside of my fermentation fridge. When my basement is in the 60s it easily can keep the inside of the fridge in the 80s. I use a dual stage controller so I can control the fridge and the heat. This way I can make a small temperature window.

ferm.jpg

Back