Transferring Beersmith Data to a new computer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can it be done? I am far from a computer guru, but I do hjave a seperate Lap Top that I use as my brewing computer which has had Beersmith on it for about 5-6 years. I am getting ready to replacen the older lap top with a new one as the older one is starting to show her age. So, the question is up, how do I get the Beersmith data from old computer to new computer?

I've had to do this twice now.

Theres 2 ways. If you are using a Windows based system you should be able to use the Microsoft Easy Transfer and it will "ghost" everything over to the new system through usb to usb connection

the other way would be to manually export anything custom you have, recipes,inventories, equipment.

That just involves highlighting it, naming it and putting it on a hard drive to reimport once you install beersmtih on the new computer.

The first method is the most painless and should bring everything you need over including beersmith

I've just copied the entire program directory over and it works fine. I just tested it from an XP machine to a Windows 7 machine and it works. ( Brad Smith - I deleted the directory after the test...:) )

x2 to copying the program directory. It's default location is C:\Program Files\BeerSmith

Just copy that directory from your old computer to somewhere like my documents on your new computer. Install BeerSmith. Copy your old BeerSmith directory into the new one in c:\program files overwriting whenever it asks. Just about the only thing kept in the Windows registry is the product key (which you will have to re-enter on the new machine but you'd have to do that anyway).

What if I just want to tranfer the recipes from my old Lap Top to my new one? I'm talking step by step instructions here folks. :confused:

So here's what I'm thinking. Hook the 2 computers up via USB Cable. An icon should pop up in the new computer telling me that the opld computer is linked. Open up Brew Smith in old and new computer, and drag the recipes into the new compute'rs Brew Smith Icon. Sound like it would work?

x2 to copying the program directory. It's default location is C:\Program Files\BeerSmith

Just copy that directory from your old computer to somewhere like my documents on your new computer. Install BeerSmith. Copy your old BeerSmith directory into the new one in c:\program files overwriting whenever it asks. Just about the only thing kept in the Windows registry is the product key (which you will have to re-enter on the new machine but you'd have to do that anyway).

I just got a new laptop and wanted to transfer my old Bersmith 1.4 onto it. I'm computer stupid, but I followed these instructions. Very happy to say that it appears to be a success. I have all of my old brews copied on to the new laptop.

Thanks!

Back