PJ Diagram Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude123

Reaction score
I am looking at building a electric hybird setup where my boil kettle will either be propane or natural gas and the HLT will be electric with a RIMS for the Mash Tun.

I was looking at this diagram:
BCS-460-wiring-2-5-a.jpg

And I was wondering if I still needed a 30 amp outlet if I change one of the 5500w elements to a 1500 or 2000w for a RIMS.

The setup will have 2 pumps as well. I am undecided as to which controller I will pick yet but I am leaning toward the brewtroller over the BCS. I want a controller rather then the PIDs because I like the web interface with the controllers.

Any help would be great.

I was wondering if I still needed a 30 amp outlet if I change one of the 5500w elements to a 1500 or 2000w for a RIMS.

The short answer is yes

A 240 volt 5500 watt element will pull 23-25 amps on its own.

5500 and a 2000 when run at the same time (Even if both are at 50%) will pull between 32 and 34 amps.

That system is designed to only allow one element at a time to fire. That's why it can have (2) 5500 watt elements on a single 30 amp circuit.

Ok cool so I can basically just use this exact diagram.

How big of a contactor and ssr would I need for a 1500-2000 watt element?

Also would I just change the position 7 switch to an on/off switch so I would be able to run the both elements at once?

Ok cool so I can basically just use this exact diagram.

How big of a contactor and ssr would I need for a 1500-2000 watt element?

Also would I just change the position 7 switch to an on/off switch so I would be able to run the both elements at once?

You can use that exact diagram. But you can't run both elements at once - That would be 7500 watts and pull 32 amps. You only have 30 available.

Volts * Amps = Watts,
So Watts / Volts = Amps
So 1500 / 240 = 6.25 Amps
And 2000 / 240 = 8.4 Amps
You could run a 4500 ish watt element and a 2000 watt element together: 6500 / 240 = 27 Amps
But you'll be running awefully close to the rated limit of your system, and risk popping the breaker.

Ok so a 20a SSR should be good for the RIMS.

Thinking back there is no reason I would need to run both elements at once.

I could run one element and 1 pump at the same time correct?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

What gauge wire should be used for this?

You always want to round up. If you feel you will be using 25 amps you need cable capable of carrying a 30 amp load. In this situation it is 10 awg. I have about 900 feet of 10-3 romex if your interested, ill give you a good deal on the length you need.... pm me if your interested
kosmo

Back