Fool of a took!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankedhank

Reaction score
I am a new brewer and am still working with all the concepts of homebrewing. I have two plastic fermenters which I am using, one is a bottling bucket and the other is just a regular one. So from what I understand you put the wort in the regular fermenter and after 2 or 3 days you rack the beer into the bottling bucket, wait a week or 2 and then bottle. I accidentally put my wort into the bottling bucket right away. should I still rack it into another fermenter ( I also have a glass Carboy) and then bottle without using the bottling bucket or is it okay to keep in the bottling bucket for another week or two?

Any advice is appreciated!

image-2916134592.jpg

"normal" cycle is:

1 - primary fermentation in bucket (~1 week)
2 - secondary/clarify in carboy (~1-2 weeks)
3 - transfer to bottling bucket on bottling day

Cheers!

JV

Slow down. You definitely don't have to do anything to your beer in 2-3 days (did you mean weeks?)

Anyway, I've brewed in bottling buckets plenty of times. Not a problem at all.

For you, the only downside is that you don't have another bottling bucket and it is kinda PITA to bottle without one. If it was me, I'd use it as a good excuse to buy another one. If not, you might want to give it a couple weeks, then rack into the carboy to sit another week to clarify.

I'm not really a huge fan of racking to a secondary fermenter, but I'm a big fan of not trying to bottle off a siphon.

Let it be. Generally you do not need to rack to secondary or anything else unless you are lagering or dry hopping or whatnot. Plenty of people ferment in bottling buckets so you should be fine there as well. It may cause some annoyance when it comes time to bottle, but you should be ok.

That looks just like my bottling bucket. Which I also got to ferment in and just bottle right from there. No transferring, easier, faster, and less chance of a potential infection. The yeast and all that stuff that settled on the bottom should be lower than the opening to the spigot. You're good, just ferment for at least 2 weeks in the same primary. Never transfer after 2-3 days.

"normal" cycle is:

Cheers!

JV

Actually, more current methods are even simpler:

1. Primary fermentation in bucket or carboy for 2-3 weeks (depending on style, temp, and other factors, but certainly never before fermentation is complete based a multiple hydrometer readings.)

2. Bottle.

"normal" cycle is:

Cheers!

JV

None of these steps should be gauged entirely by time. Yes, 1 week is usually enough for gravity to stabilize in the primary, but not always.

If you insist on transferring to a secondary, wait for final gravity to stabilize. However, don't feel obligated to transfer at all. You can just leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks, and if the gravity has stabilized, you're good to bottle.

Actually, more current methods are even simpler:

1. Primary fermentation in bucket or carboy for 2-3 weeks (depending on style, temp, and other factors)

2. Bottle.

which ever way makes you comfortable, you can secondary, thridondary, abillionthary lol.
Personally, i use the carboys for 2-6 weeks, i dry hop etc, no issues at all here. just whatever you think makes good beer :)

Yeah - secondary is not required, but I like to see what's going on and it's easier to judge if any clarifying agents might be warranted. Another reason is to get access to the yeast that has floculated out of the primary fermentation for use in subsequent batches. Much that I have read on that subject suggests that it is better for yeast to be exposed to as little alcohol as possible.

Also people smarter than me have suggested that letting your beer sit on an idle yeast bed can have some negative effects. (but I have never tested that)

Anyways, it sounded like you were going after some kind of secondary fermentation. I would choose not to use a bottling bucket because I am just the kind of dork that would kick the bloody valve open...

Whatever ferments your wort!

What I would do in your situation is to wait until the initial fermentation is complete (1-2 weeks, usually, but a hydrometer will tell you when) then rack that beer into the primary bucket and use it as a secondary (I don't normally secondary, but lots of people do).

This will free up the bottling bucket to be used in another week or two. You may look into cold crashing to help clear the beer.

When it's time to bottle, proceed as normal and use the bottling bucket for what it's for Make sure you disassemble the spigot completely and wash it and sanitize it! Those things are impossible to rinse out without doing so. Then you will probably get an infection from the nasties in the spigot!

What I would do in your situation is to wait until the initial fermentation is complete (1-2 weeks, usually, but a hydrometer will tell you when) then rack that beer into the primary bucket and use it as a secondary (I don't normally secondary, but lots of people do).

This will free up the bottling bucket to be used in another week or two. You may look into cold crashing to help clear the beer.

When it's time to bottle, proceed as normal and use the bottling bucket for what it's for Make sure you disassemble the spigot completely and wash it and sanitize it! Those things are impossible to rinse out without doing so. Then you will probably get an infection from the nasties in the spigot!

i've seen several other people say that about the spigot. just to be clear. are we talking about unscrewing the spigot and cleaning it that way? or is there a way to dissassemble the little twisty handle and break it down even further? because usually all I do is unscrew the spigot and nut and then soak that for 24 hours with the "valve" open in oxyclean/tsp mix

I got a set of 3 aquarium lift tube cleaning brushes for cleaning spigots & the like. Remove the spigot & turn the valve to open. Put it in a coffee mug of PBW solution for several minutes. Then use that & a lift tube brush to clean the insides of it. Swish it around in the cup of PBW again & rinse under tap water stream. Then dunk in starsan for at least 30 seconds. Shake out,close valve.& re-install.

i've seen several other people say that about the spigot. just to be clear. are we talking about unscrewing the spigot and cleaning it that way? or is there a way to dissassemble the little twisty handle and break it down even further? because usually all I do is unscrew the spigot and nut and then soak that for 24 hours with the "valve" open in oxyclean/tsp mix

I take mine off the bucket and then pull the inside of it out of the housing, so yes, take it apart. The valve handle should pop up and out of the housing, allowing complete and unrestricted access. You can soak in oxi, or use a SOFT whatever to wipe it out if it's gunked up good.

A lot of people are suggesting secondary in the bottling bucket. For me this poses the problem of not being able to rack onto a priming solution come bottling day.

For the new brewer who started this thread I'd suggest ignoring the whole 'secondary' concept as many experienced brewers now do. On bottling day either stir in your sugar solution carefully or add sugar direct to bottles. No real need to keep racking. But next time, rack onto your sugar solution in the bottling bucket after a few weeks in primary.

Back