Custom Wire Basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burbelly

Reaction score
Some of us have read or discussed the custom baskets from http://www.anysizebasket.com. I bit the bullet after a number of my cooling sessions drove me crazy with pellet hop clogged intakes. Some may call it overkill, but dead is dead and I'm sure my draining problems will be over after this investment. Here's a pic.

IMAG0106.jpg

I really like this idea, but they are pricey. What mesh did you get? I'm thinking that the 30 mesh might work well. Expensive yes, but maybe worth it. You might be on to something.

After all of my experimentation with baskets, etc. I still seem to want to tweak things. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure there's a magic bullet. I've done BIAB with 30 mesh and 6 mesh....tomorrow I will brew with 12 mesh. I hope I'm getting close.

FWIW, I've been using a bayou classic steamer basket that is heavily modified....but looking at the anysize basket design, it looks pretty simple. I have a Tig welder and just got an aircraft grade rivet gun. The stainless bar is reasonably priced....the only hurdle I can see are the "rings" or "hoops" at the top and bottom of the basket. They look tricky to fabricate, and I imagine something like that might be expensive. Any ideas on where to obtain cheap stainless rings that are approx 15" in diameter and thick enough to weld?

Maybe a square basket would be easier....hmmmmm :mug: ;)

Wow! That is pricey. But nice looking.

I think I'll stick with my paint strainer bags for a little bit longer. Maybe get that for Christmas. ;)

Yeah, that's why I'm looking for a DIY solution....the stainless bar and screen is a lot cheaper than a bayou classic or anysize basket if you have the right tools.

After all of my experimentation with baskets, etc. I still seem to want to tweak things. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure there's a magic bullet. I've done BIAB with 30 mesh and 6 mesh....tomorrow I will brew with 12 mesh. I hope I'm getting close.

FWIW, I've been using a bayou classic steamer basket that is heavily modified....but looking at the anysize basket design, it looks pretty simple. I have a Tig welder and just got an aircraft grade rivet gun. The stainless bar is reasonably priced....the only hurdle I can see are the "rings" or "hoops" at the top and bottom of the basket. They look tricky to fabricate, and I imagine something like that might be expensive. Any ideas on where to obtain cheap stainless rings that are approx 15" in diameter and thick enough to weld?

Maybe a square basket would be easier....hmmmmm :mug: ;)
If you can make a square one for around $40 I am in. I priced up a 8"x8"x12' rectangle with #20 mesh and it was $105...not going to happen.

I messed with that at work, but I'm not good enough TIG welder to do it right. I started off wanting to make a frame to hold open a paint strainer bag.

I eventually just cut a rectangle from mesh and rolled it up into a cylinder and spot welded it along the seam. Then cut a circle, oversized, to fit the bottom. Nicked all around the edge and bent the sections into a flange shape and spot welded those to the bottom edge of the cylinder, making a simple basket of just mesh.

I need to burn off a few spots of gunk, since it was used mesh and a bit dirty, but I hope to try it out on my next batch. Just need to add a SS handle for lifting.

Dude, you gotta post pics! I tried soldering screen, but it's really difficult. TIG welding can't be much easier because of the low mass of the wire.....spot welding seems like the ticket. I went the rivet route, because I knew I could use it elsewhere...but still need a few parts (rivet set, bucking bar) to get the gun working.

I was told by everyone that it would be impossible to TIG that screen. Mine is pretty ugly, but it looks like it would work. I have not looked into the cost of SS mesh, but it wouldn't be real cheap if you bought new. I found some at the scrapyard.

I'll try and snap a pic or two when I get it cleaned up a bit.

Oh, and the spot welder was 22V and I had to hit it as fast and light as I could to keep it from burning holes. And I had doubled or tripled the seams...

You're right, the mesh IS expensive. Really, the best thing is to put a piece of stainless flat bar or strip over the inner and outer side of the seams and then bolt, rivet, or spot weld together. I used fender washers and bolts to hold the screen against the inside of the steamer basket. It keeps the seam in place, and also keep the screen from sliding up.

It's a #20 mesh. I think, now that I've seen it, that the #30 might have been a better choice but I think that this will give better longevity, which is critical at this price point. I'll be brewing tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I'm doing a decoction so the basket actually does double duty as mash/ hop basket. That might clear up why I am so inclined to spend so much on a strainer.:drunk:

I'm considering the 20 mesh - do you think it is a good size for biab?

These baskets, is it possible to put bolts on the bottom for seperating them from the heating element (I'm using electric biab)?

Johann

It's a #20 mesh. I think, now that I've seen it, that the #30 might have been a better choice but I think that this will give better longevity, which is critical at this price point. I'll be brewing tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I'm doing a decoction so the basket actually does double duty as mash/ hop basket. That might clear up why I am so inclined to spend so much on a strainer.:drunk:

Back