Cali Brewery Tour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussy13

Reaction score
So the lady, the dog, and I are heading on spring break this weekend. Our spring break will consist of visiting colleges, that we were accepted to, stopping at breweries, and camping. :ban:

So, we are leaving from LA on the 10th, 2 nights in Santa Cruz-ish, 1 night in Santa Rosa-ish, 2 nights in Arcata-ish, 1 night in Stinson Beach-ish, and 1 night in Big Sur-ish.

I have quite the long list of breweries to hit on the way there and back. Some of the well known ones; Firestone, Russian River, Lost Coast, Bear Republic, North Coast, Lagunitas, Moylans, Drakes, Marin, Anderson Valley...

Any other suggestions? We are going all over. I have another list that has around 20 or so more breweries depending on time/mood/money. Any thing I shouldn't miss?

Route: 101 from LA to Santa Cruz, 880 to 580 through east bay to the 101 to santa rosa, 101 to arcata, 101 to the 1 back to the 101 down to golden gate national rec area/ stinson beach, the 1 to Big Sur, then the 1 to the 101 back to LA.

Sounds like an epic journey to me. :mug:
What do ya'll think?
Suggestions, tips, grub, grog, campsites, etc?
AM

bleak

I've got Mendocino on my other list. Unfortunately we won't be able to make it all the way over to Chico. I wanted to go to Anchor, but their tasting room is only available to people who take the tour and the tour is booked months in advanced. So, we are going to have to skip it. Although, I might give them a call when we are in the city to see if they can slip us in. Don't know what I would do with the dog during their long tour though. I'll figure it out.
Thanks for the input.
AM

If you spend any time in San Luis Obispo, Creekside Brew is a brewpub that makes some pretty good beers

I've got that on my list as well. What's up with Central Coast brewing, is it any good? Which is better?
AM

Anybody been to Bear Republic. From what I've read they have a brewpub in Heraldsburg and a production brewery just South of Cloverdale. I think we'll stop at the brewery. Does anyone have a recommendation as to which one to go to?
AM

Central Coast Brewing is pretty decent. Not as good as Creekside, but still pretty good. Definitely worth a stop. They have 5 beers for $1 tasters, and another 5ish that are $2 for a taster.

The Healdsburg Bear Republic brewpub is nice. Plus Healdsburg is a great area.

scrambledegg81

I certainly will agree with you. Being in Santa Monica I'm not that far from the SD area breweries. I've been to almost all of them, I believe. Breakwater, Port/Lost Abbey, Stone, Green Flash, Alesmith, Alpine, Karl Strauss, San Diego Brewng, Ballast Point, Coranado, and Lightning. SD is where it's @. :mug:

Sacdan
So we should go to the brewpub instead of the main brewery. Have you been to both?
Thanks guys,
AM

When you go to Anderson valley,pick up a sixer try to hit up the Frisbee golf course on the brewery. It's a lot of fun.

If you make it through Sac, the Rubicon has some good beers too.

And we're back.
Thanks for the advice everyone. We had a great time. Except for camping in the rain for the first 3 or 4 days. Oh well. We've got the gear for it. So we went to 16 breweries in 7 days and camped all 7 nights. Tasted every brew from all 16 breweries (I think); Firestone, Santa Cruz Mtn, Seabright, Jupiter, Triple Rock, Moylans, Russian River, Eel River, Mad River, 6 Rivers, Lost Coast, North Coast, Anderson Valley, Bear Republic, Lagunitas, and Magnolia. My favorites, in no particular order, Anderson Valley, Bear Republic, Lagunitas, Russian River, and Mad River. We had a blast and tasted some choice brews, not to mention the excellent vistas and landscape along the way. Spring Break well spent if you ask me.
AM
*Also, sorry for the misspelling, Healdsburg not Heraldsburg.*

Back