discovery channel: when we left earth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Discovery had a really awesome show on all day today, from like noon till now or so. It was a documentary on all of our space missions from Mercury to the current shuttle missions. Very interesting, and I've been watching it on and off all day... Anyone else?

I'm sure they're show it again if anyone missed it.

Been watching since day one...Love it. I wish I had been around in the days where space made the daily front page.

(edit) Without a shuttle burning up over us or the Hubble being a piece of space debris

Been watching since day one...Love it. I wish I had been around in the days where space made the daily front page.

(edit) Without a shuttle burning up over us or the Hubble being a piece of space debris

I agree. Astronauts and what is happening at NASA is so much more news worthy than anyone in Hollywood. Not only are these people brilliant but they put there lives on the line as well. All the while advancing science and the achievements of the human race.

I remember watching the launches of Mercury and Gemini missions as a kid and I'll never forget the count down to liftoff. My heart would just pound as the clock ticked down. When it reached t-minus 20 seconds or so it was exciting as the PA guy clicked off the "goes" from the checklists and counted down the seconds. When the rocket fired and it lifted off it was a pure rush of adrenaline for me.
It's funny. I never worried about the thing blowing up or crashing. I was always worried about delays. There were numerous launches scrubbed with only a few seconds remaining. I remember one Gemini launch where the Titan II rocket fired and it shut off right before lift off!
In retrospect, had I known how really dangerous those missions were, I would have been terrified!
Oh man I loved the space program! Actually, I still do to this day.

I've been watching show from the beginning. Pretty amazing. I was surprised by the number of unmanned rockets that blew up on the pad or quickly after launch during the beginning of the Gemini program.

and now they're playing "in the shadow of the moon"

I just love this stuff.

I remember watching the launches of Mercury and Gemini missions as a kid and I'll never forget the count down to liftoff. My heart would just pound as the clock ticked down. When it reached t-minus 20 seconds or so it was exciting as the PA guy clicked off the "goes" from the checklists and counted down the seconds. When the rocket fired and it lifted off it was a pure rush of adrenaline for me.
It's funny. I never worried about the thing blowing up or crashing. I was always worried about delays. There were numerous launches scrubbed with only a few seconds remaining. I remember one Gemini launch where the Titan II rocket fired and it shut off right before lift off!
In retrospect, had I known how really dangerous those missions were, I would have been terrified!
Oh man I loved the space program! Actually, I still do to this day.

That really must have been something to see, I wish I could have seen it!

indeed, I wonder if a new mission to put a human on some planet may re-new the general public's interest? I know I would watch.

Latest posts

Back