What is eating my Liberty Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castawayales

Reaction score
Second year in a row, my Liberty shoots are being dug up.

Whatever it is ignores the Glacier and Horizon, but has been very busy trying to eat Liberty.

Any ideas? Squirrels, rabbits common in the area

THanks,

Barry

I have hear that squirrels and rabbits do like the early shoots and the rhisome.

Do you have cats?

My cat has inadvertently dug up a rhisome twice......I am gonna miss that cat.

Buy a few feet of tight mesh fence, dig it in about a foot into the ground, at least a foot away from the Rhizome, all around the circumference. Could be Groundhog or Rabbit I'd imagine. Whatever it is, you have to stop it or it will continue to do so and it will severely stunt the bine growth. It can take cutback I am sure, but animals have the tendency of continually eating away at plants once they decide they like them.

Sounds to me like a perfect oppurtunity for a stakeout with lots of beer and a pellet gun. :rockin:

Digging up, I'd say squirrels. But I don't have any Liberty or any squirrels here. Just put a chicken-wire cylinder around it until it's a couple feet tall.

Could be chipmunks too, I had a problem with those bastards digging in my pots with flowers on the deck in the past.

Thanks everyone for the help. It is off to the hardware store for chicken wire although the stake out sounds like a good time.

No cats, no ground squirrels. Interesting that it only wants the Liberty. The little Bas*@%d has good taste.

If I can catch whatever it is, I will post the info.

Barry

If it does turn out to be a squirrel then you might eat it to make the victory that much sweeter. Or neighbor's cat, whatever. I don't think there is more than one way to skin a squirrel, though.

fratermus said:
I don't think there is more than one way to skin a squirrel, though.

Yeah, there are a few, but the best is to pull up the loose skin on their back, make a slit, then get your fingers in there and pull both directions until you have the skin pulled all the way to the wrists and ankles and neck, then just cut the head and feet off. Same process works really well with rabbits.

dougler13 said:
wow.. I'm redneck as it comes but.... wow....

It's all about survival...Beer and squirrel on a stick... :fro:

All jocking aside, that is the best way to skin a squirrel.

Could be skunks. THey like to dig for worms and grubs too.

Also, that IS the best way to skin a squirrel! I'm long overdue for some fresh squirrel or rabbit (I'd prefer rabbit. It tastes like chicken!)

If you can get stockings or socks hanging w/ moth balls or a bar of lifebouy soap You''l find it does the trick.

You can also hang a plastic owl on your hop-pole.... :D

motion-detector-owl-148035.jpg
http://www.gemplers.com/product/148035/Motion-Detector-Owl

Im bummed something tore up my Fuggle bine it was growing so good, about 6 inches long. I should be ok though its still in the groung.

Back