does anybody make mixed beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
Call me a heretic if you will, but I have developed a odd habit of drawing a cocktail of different beer in the same cup.
It started innocently enough as a way to combat over bitter brown ale, I figured I'd drop a little Heffe in to counter the bitterness.
Last weekend my wife drew me a concoction of all four taps! and it wasn't bad! ( a little tart from the Apfelwein though)
Just wondered if anybody else would admit it

I used to do this as a kid but with soda, so yeah, I've tried it with beer. But just recently. I was mixing my VCCA with my PB Stout with good results.

My friend bought me some imperial stout that was just too bitter for my tastes, although it had great roasty flavor.

I had a six pack of bridgeport stout laying around. I simply started mixing a bottle of each, to great result.

As far as homebrew goes, I once made a pale ale that was simply too bitter for me. Quite on accident due to inexperience making AG batches, on my next batch I made a pale ale that was very malty, and not that bitter.

I think that about 80% of those batches were consumed as some sort of mix by me and my friends. It was almost convienent, as you could make your beer as bitter as you wanted it, just by controlling the mix.

That sums up my experience of mixing.

I do. I am a fiend for change and even with 4 on tap, I still get bored drinking the same thing. So yup, I blend rather frequently. Sometimes it's really good and inspires a new recipe other time, not so much.:fro:

Movinfr8 said:
Call me a heretic if you will,

OK, you are a heretic. Mixing beers? Blasphemy!

I will finish then rinse the glass first but only after cleansing the pallet with a BMAPC (BierMuncher Approved Pallet Cleanser) such as a Trisquit. ;)

Such is the way of the HBT EAC.

My two taps right now are a Pumpkin ale that's just a touch too sweet, and a porter that's just a wee bit too roasty. Each is OK on its own, but mixed they're better. And any mix from 90/10 to 10/90 seems to work.

I always keep my beers seperated.

BlackTan4.JPG

I mix beers fairly often. Sometimes, I'll even put a shot of soda water in to make more of a session ale. Bent Rod Rye got its start that way.

Back