Is this yeast starter ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzno

Reaction score
Please view the video and let me know if you think this starter is ok.

I just started this yesterday. It's from a package of Wyeast 1968 that I poured into a sanitized and pre-boiled mason jar of water last week. It had a nice kreuzen this morning and looked great. When I got home tonight the foam cap had open up a little but hadn't popped off all the way and it looked like the kreuzen had built up to the top but didn't blow over.

I've only done a few starters and I haven't seen them do this before. Is this normal? DO you think it's ok to use?

[ame="http://youtu.be/aQhKzrWmtVE"]http://youtu.be/aQhKzrWmtVE[/ame]

Please view the video and let me know if you think this starter is ok.

I just started this yesterday. It's from a package of Wyeast 1968 that I poured into a sanitized and pre-boiled mason jar of water last week. It had a nice kreuzen this morning and looked great. When I got home tonight the foam cap had open up a little but hadn't popped off all the way and it looked like the kreuzen had built up to the top but didn't blow over.

I've only done a few starters and I haven't seen them do this before. Is this normal? DO you think it's ok to use?

I can't see the video because it's marked private, but I can see the first frame as a picture. Looks typical of Wy1968, very chunky. Not sure what you mean by adding it to a jar of water. I assume you added it to wort to make a starter. If you got a krausen then your starter is probably good.

Yep looks normal to me for Wy1968, but if you have any control over the speed of the stir-bar, turn it down a little. There's no need to run it that fast. Wy1968 has got to be the most flocculent yeast I've ever dealt with. Don't be surprised if you have to rouse your beer to get a reasonable attenuation.

Edit: another thing you should do if you're concerned is a sniff test. If it smells like yeast/beer it's probably OK. If it's rancid/foul then it's infected.

Sniff test passes, it smells fine. Thanks for the reassurance. I'm still working on the right size fan vs power supply with my stir plate. This is actually on the lowest setting...

I can't see the video because it's marked private, but I can see the first frame as a picture. Looks typical of Wy1968, very chunky. Not sure what you mean by adding it to a jar of water. I assume you added it to wort to make a starter. If you got a krausen then your starter is probably good.

Similar to yeast washing I stored a portion of this yeast from the smack pack into a mason jar of pre-boiled water to store it.

Typical for Wy1968/wlp002. should look like you have cottage cheese in their. I think wy1098/wlp007 is even worse.

Glad I searched before I started a new thread, i'll just piggyback on this one. I made a starter from 1968 last night and had the same results. I figured the chunkiness is due to the high floc rating. After 12 hrs on the stir, I shut it off and had almost instant settling on the bottom, about the amount I get from any other similar sized starter. Should I expect faster starter fermentation with 1968 too? I've never bothered, due to timing, to decant a starter but the fast floc has got me thinking. Usually you would fridge it overnight to floc and decant, would just an hour or two before I brew today be enough or would it leave too much good yeast in suspension? Also, I timed the starter so it would have 24hrs to pitching time, if I could fridge floc it quickly, is 16-18 hrs enough to have completed fermentation before cooling it? (I didn't take a grav last night so I have no way of knowing measurably if it is done fermenting the starter wort)

Glad I searched before I started a new thread, i'll just piggyback on this one. I made a starter from 1968 last night and had the same results. I figured the chunkiness is due to the high floc rating. After 12 hrs on the stir, I shut it off and had almost instant settling on the bottom, about the amount I get from any other similar sized starter. Should I expect faster starter fermentation with 1968 too? I've never bothered, due to timing, to decant a starter but the fast floc has got me thinking. Usually you would fridge it overnight to floc and decant, would just an hour or two before I brew today be enough or would it leave too much good yeast in suspension? Also, I timed the starter so it would have 24hrs to pitching time, if I could fridge floc it quickly, is 16-18 hrs enough to have completed fermentation before cooling it? (I didn't take a grav last night so I have no way of knowing measurably if it is done fermenting the starter wort)

I just brewed an ESB last week with a starter of 1968. Just dumped the whole 1L starter in with wort and all. Gave it a good swirl to make sure I got anything left behind. No need to make it overly complicated. My fermentation went from 1.055 to 1.008 in 3 days.

I had a 700ml starter of the ESB that I took off the stir plate the morning of brew day. Just left it, didn't chill it. It also settled fast. 6 hours later I decanted most of the liquid and poured the rest into my fermenter. It kicked into fermenting by the next morning!

Back