after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danzig

Reaction score
New to brewing beer, So far I have brewed 5 batches,4 lagers and 1 ale.All were from a kit. Fermentation went well,good carbonation. The problem is that all batches have the same after taste. I use well water in the brewing process. I prefer lagers such as moosehead. Would it help if I went to a 20 minute boil kit? The beer I brew is very drinkable but doesn't have that crisp taste I'm looking for. Is it just a matter of try try again ? Always a little sediment in the bottom of the bottles. Thanks Dan

I try to ferment at the temp recommended on the brew instructions. I have used dry yeast included in kit and also have used white labs and wyeast. I do have a water softner and tap water tastes great. I have noticed that each bottle after drinking will have a slight white film in the bottom of the bottle. Does it seem to be related to the fermenting process? thanks

the sediment at the bottom of the bottle is yeast from carbing your beer. You might want to look up using a water softener. Apparently it is not recommended and causes an unpleasant after taste.
use Google to search this:
site: homebrewtalk.com watersoftener

As the other poster said, sediment in the bottle is normal for bottle-conditioned (bottle carb'd) beers. Just don't pour the last 1/4" of beer from the bottle when you pour your pint.

I doubt that's your off-taste. Its probably your water.

I'm on well water too, and i've been chasing an off-flavor that appears in everything i've made except IPA's. I guess the hops mask it. I had been brewing with untreated well water, and even worse, i was using hot water for my steeping grains. (They say water from hot water heaters can add to off-tastes)

After much deliberation and research, i believe my flavor is from a very iron-rich water. (Insides of toilet bowl tanks are brown/rust colored, and water will leave brown/rust streaks on tubs/showers)

The batch I have in primary now was made entirely with bottled spring water. I'm fairly confident this will correct the problem.

I tried modifying my process using late/flameout additions of the LME, because at first I thought I was scorching my extract. The late additions did not correct the problem. Fermentation temps and sanitation were/are fine. I brew in a stainless stockpot, so not a problem with unoxidized aluminum.

If you like IPAs, maybe try brewing one of those. I've been extremely happy with both of mine, and couldn't detect the off-flavor.

Or better/cheaper yet, brew entirely with purchased water and see if that corrects the problem.

iron out your yeast pitching rate and fermentation temps. if you're already pitching your lagers with 3+ liter starters at 45-50 degrees and letting them warm to no higher than 55, then maybe look at your water. if not, start with the obvious. if you're pitching single vials of yeast into 70 degree wort and expecting a clean lager, think again. i think because you said 'well water' people are getting all excited.

if you're pitching single vials of yeast into 70 degree wort and expecting a clean lager, think again.
Well, to be fair, I've only ever done one lager, and I pitched a white labs vial into 74F wort and got the a super clean, crisp beer. No bad after tastes at all. In fact, I think it was one of our best brews ever. Even with out that experience I'd still say it's the water source over any yeast issues.

How long did you let them lager for, and at what temperature danzig? It's possible they may have needed to just sit a bit longer to finish settling out, or maybe needed a Diacetyl rest before bottling.

Well, to be fair, I've only ever done one lager, and I pitched a white labs vial into 74F wort and got the a super clean, crisp beer. No bad after tastes at all. In fact, I think it was one of our best brews ever. Even with out that experience I'd still say it's the water source over any yeast issues.
Nice. Which yeast?

WLP820 or WLP 830, I don't have my notes in front of me. It was a marzen style grain bill, though, but I can't remember which yeast we settled on. One week in water bath in the sink kept it at ~45F, then two-three weeks at 50-55F. After that, lagered in the fridge for a month, probably 35-38F.

Thanks for all your replies. Picked up a Flat Tire kit from Midwest.This time I will try bottled water. Since all of the beer I have brewed has the same after taste, I imagine the water would be the best place to start. Anxious to get busy on some more lagers once I correct this problem. Dan

iron out your yeast pitching rate and fermentation temps. if you're already pitching your lagers with 3+ liter starters at 45-50 degrees and letting them warm to no higher than 55, then maybe look at your water. if not, start with the obvious. if you're pitching single vials of yeast into 70 degree wort and expecting a clean lager, think again. i think because you said 'well water' people are getting all excited.

Definately.

Yes you can pitch that single vial of white labs and let it sit at room temp for a couple weeks, then bottle, and have great beer, but you won't do it consistently. If your water tastes good out of the tap, don't worry about it right now!! That is a minor detail compared to fermentation temps.

Back