Forgot to add the brown sugar til the end

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DillonBrew

Reaction score
So I've been reading on here for a long time. I just joined today and this is my first post.

Been brewing for quite a while as well. Someone recently came to me and asked if I could teach them. So we started building equipment etc. from scratch (I hadn't brewed in quite a while).

Anywho, as I was starting the boil on the all grain smooth nut brown from midwest my fiance came in and told me she was pregnant. Long story short I was slightly distracted. I forgot to add the brown sugar until about 5 minutes short of the end of the boil (when I walked in to grab the finishing hops). So I went ahead and threw them in and let it run about ten minutes longer. Will this adversely affect my beer? By my reasoning it still had time to carmelize and the yeast should eat through it. (it will probably smell like beer farts in the closet but who cares)

Anybody have any comments, or experience as to what might happen here? It's bubbling through the air lock just fine.

No problem. I usually add it after fermentation.

In a pot of boiling wort, I really don't think you are going to much caramelization of sugars that are readily dissolved. The acidic wort will help to invert the sugars, but the yeast can do that for themselves.

DillonBrew said:
So I've been reading on here for a long time. I just joined today and this is my first post.

Been brewing for quite a while as well. Someone recently came to me and asked if I could teach them. So we started building equipment etc. from scratch (I hadn't brewed in quite a while).

Anywho, as I was starting the boil on the all grain smooth nut brown from midwest my fiance came in and told me she was pregnant. Long story short I was slightly distracted. I forgot to add the brown sugar until about 5 minutes short of the end of the boil (when I walked in to grab the finishing hops). So I went ahead and threw them in and let it run about ten minutes longer. Will this adversely affect my beer? By my reasoning it still had time to carmelize and the yeast should eat through it. (it will probably smell like beer farts in the closet but who cares)

Anybody have any comments, or experience as to what might happen here? It's bubbling through the air lock just fine.

For sure your going to have a baby!!!! I hope the beer turns out ok!

I guess by carmelize I meant dissolve. LOL. Thanks for the replies. Now I can direct my focuses on the little booger that is apparently 9 weeks along. We didn't find out til New Years Day!!!

If you had added the sugar at flameout it still would have dissolved. I usually add any sugars as close to the end of the boil as I can.

Back