French Saison yeast (by wyeast)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLopez

Reaction score
So I made a Saison... Kept it at around 70f for 2.5 weeks, then cold crashed for about a week in a secondary....Kegged it today and have it a little taste and its pretty darn sour! Once the temp gets closer to room to it begins to get the nice spicy and bubblegumy flavor... But still pretty tart. Is this is a tart strain??? Should I let it age more? What temp should I keep it at?

^agreed. you can coax a ton of flavors from 3711 depending on ferm temp and schedule but I've never gotten sour, per se. How sour are you talking (like, pucker on drinking/unpleasant; or sour like you might get from a slightly sour Berliner Weisse or Gose)?

Saisons are a style that really lend themselves to a slight tartness/sourness so if it's not infected you may have a great beer in a few weeks.

What's your recipe other besides the yeast ? Sonetimes 3711 will produce phenols at lower temps but not really sour. Did you use a lot of wheat ? Wheat can be perceived as sour.

It's not super sour.. But it has a Berliner Weisse type if tartness... I used no wheat. It is Kegged right now but i think I'll take it out of the fridge and let it sit for a while and taste it along the way... Could it be ruined now that I've refrigerated it for so long or will raising the temp still influence the taste?

You may have missed the flavor bus by fermenting that low - saison yeasts love the heat! I've got an amazing saison on tap right now that I fermented at 85F - clean and delicious! No tartness to it, though. Maybe the lower temps bring that out?

You may have missed the flavor bus by fermenting that low - saison yeasts love the heat! I've got an amazing saison on tap right now that I fermented at 85F - clean and delicious! No tartness to it, though. Maybe the lower temps bring that out?

3711 is a different beast. It works well at lower temps than most saison yeasts. Other saison yeasts do like a lot of heat. I have tried it at different temps and never get sour. Just a very good saison flavor.

Back