Dealing with pelletized hops post boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter30g

Reaction score
OK. So I consider myself a pretty resourceful guy but I am extremely frustrated with the pellet hop slurry post boil. I wait 15 minutes after the boil and even use a Blichmann hop blocker, but it still sticks and run a ton of crap thru my therminator. Probably the worst thing is leaving a quart or two of wort and the pot slurry because it it won;t settle out. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

I used a hop spider on my first AG batch last night and didn't use my bazooka screen and it worked out really well. You can build a hop spider for really cheap.

10 pack of mesh bags from Northern Brewer. Toss the whole thing in there and toss it in the garbage when done.

Hop spider using 5 gallon paint strainer bags works great. And i use a sanitized zip tie and a 1 gallon strainer bag for dryhoping

I just dump it in to the fermenter if I don't use a nylon bag. I get the 5 gallon paint strainer bags from the hardware store and use those when I have large hop additions.

Before I got my valve and dip tube on the boil kettle, I dumped through a colander and nylon bag. I guess I could just use a nylon bag on my hose with a clip to hold it in place and not get any of the hops or cold break in there. Yeah, let's go with that.

Back