secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
So this is my 3d brew. Still on ale. Still w basic equipment. Working on a brown ale. Should i second ferment ? All i have for that is a bottling plastic bucket. I am concerned about air getting in at the spigot do i need to get a carboy? Do I need to 2ndary at all w basic sled? Go saints!

I'd say no. No reason to risk it. I would only secondary on something I planned on aging more than 2 months. I think a lot of people feel they should secondary because they think its automatically better when in most scenarios it can be worse.

There are a gazillion threads on this... But I'm in the don't-secondary-unless-you-absolutely-need-to camp. I.e., if you're racking on to fruit or something like that. I don't even secondary for dry hopping. Secondary-ing will not magically make your final beer more clear - gravity takes care of that, and it has exactly the same strength in secondary as it does in primary. The turbulence of racking to secondary may cause some particulates to clump and fall out of your beer a little earlier than they would if you left it in primary, but they will all fall out after a week or two cold conditioning anyway. No need to risk the oxygen!

Thanks for all the help! Got the answer I was hoping for. Next time I will be less lazy and look through threads before asking a question.

Back