Banjo burner heat shield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varroa

Reaction score
I present to you my bango burner heat shield design. What do you think?

IMG_20120829_200419.jpg

IMG_20120829_200443.jpg

Here is the link to the google sketchup I made for it.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=447685c4f0f5af7dfbe4d625ef97f18d

That is a nice looking shield.

Any additional details on the construction (materials, plans, tools)?

Thinking I could use one of these :)

Plans are attached in the google sketchup link. I have a friend that works at a metal fabrication place and he cut the design from a sheet of galvanized steel (which I need to burn off before using) using a plasma CNC bench. You could cut it by hand with the right tools (jigsaw).

Ah, excellent. Explains the immaculate fit and finish. I'm thinking I can hack up something similar functionally (tho not aesthetically).

Thanks for the input!

Are their vents on the back of the skirt of the keg to let the draft out? How dose it draft?

I haven't tried it yet but if venting is needed I will use a hole cutting saw to drill a few holes in it.

I had a chance to try the new heat shield this weekend. I brewed a 10 gallon batch of Irish Red. The shield was more efficient for boiling (I reached a boil faster) but it did have some issues. The heat built up underneath the heat shield and then spilled out under the sides of it. The heat that spilled out was super heated and it melted my rubber handle on my valve. I think I need to design a version 2.0 that is wider and has longer wings (and maybe a hole for lighting the burner).

Maybe a small "chimney tube" or vent out of the back or side to let the heat out & direct it away from the kettle/brewer/brewing area ?

I will try a hole on the back for venting (and to make lighting easier) but I am also going to get a larger one made and compare the two models.

I did a similar thing a few weeks ago. A buddy from work had some aluminum flashing left over from a project. I double-walled it and screwed it into the existing heat sheild using the bolts holding the burner. I hoped that double-walled it would hold up... As you can see, it got a little toasty.

It did decrease the time to boil, however, which was awesome! I either need to switch to steel or wrap the flashing over the outer legs, traveling upward along the bottom of the keggle. We'll see.

IMG_20120817_155731.jpg

IMG_20120822_164304.jpg

My first model was aluminum as well. I now have a big burn mark on my deck where the molten medal was dripping down. The current models are all steel and work much better.

Keep us posted on how your future models work out (with avoiding melting of the handle, etc). I'd be very very interested in it!

Sure will. While I am waiting for the new model to me made I may try some modifications on the old model. Another option is to just turn the heat down now that it is more efficient (I was use to pushing the burner all the way up in order to boil 50 L of wort).

I did a similar thing a few weeks ago. A buddy from work had some aluminum flashing left over from a project. I double-walled it and screwed it into the existing heat sheild using the bolts holding the burner. I hoped that double-walled it would hold up... As you can see, it got a little toasty.

It did decrease the time to boil, however, which was awesome! I either need to switch to steel or wrap the flashing over the outer legs, traveling upward along the bottom of the keggle. We'll see.

Lol, I made a very similar one which looks like yours as well after a few boils. My neighbor, who puts on metal roofs for people, gave me the metal and insisted it would not melt. Low and behold! Even half melted, it still works better than not having one!

Lol, I made a very similar one which looks like yours as well after a few boils. My neighbor, who puts on metal roofs for people, gave me the metal and insisted it would not melt. Low and behold! Even half melted, it still works better than not having one!

Exactly! The picture is after 1 brew day (5gal batch). I have used it one more time (10gal batch) since then, and it hasn't changed much, only a little more charred, but still better than nothing. I am the same in that I wont change it out until I get the time and cash to modify it another way w/ new materials.

thanks for the visuals. I was about to do this same thing this weekend with some aluminum flashing I purchased from Lowes. Looks like I need to find some different material.

Latest posts

Back