Brew kettle help BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfisherwes

Reaction score
I need to buy a new brew kettle. I am using a aluminum turkey frier at the moment and I want a bigger stainless kettle suitable for brew in a bag. I like doing stronger beers like double IPAs an the such but I want to go ahead and get a do all kettle so I spend less in the long run. I'm looking for a good deal on an acceptable kettle for this. Any help would be appreciated. Ex size recs (I'm thinking 10-12 gallon) and links or specific kettle recs.

Thanks in advance

There are several good kettles out there. Look for 18 gauge and preferably a sandwiched bottom.
Best low cost is a keggle (kettle made from a keg). There are lots of add-on parts made for them, they can be had relatively cheap and they can really take a beating too.

In my not so humble opinion you should avoid Blichmann kettles, thin, overpriced and weldless.

Did I just open a Pandora's box?
It boils down to budget and DIY abilities. MoreBeer sells excellent kettles if you have the money.

Hanks for the response I have DIY ability. Quite a bit actually. Budget isn't really a big issue. I am willing to spend on a kettle. But I don't want to be wasteful either. I want something that will last and suit my purpose. Ive only done 7 extract batches and started 11 weeks ago

I currently do 5.5 gal BIAB batches using a 10-gal Blichmann kettle and it has worked great. No complaints whatsoever. Do you need to spend that much on a kettle? Not at all. There are many cheaper options out there to choose from.

Another option is to build a keggle if you can find a keg. It requires only basic DIY skills to make one. If I were to do it all over again I would probably build a keggle because they are tough and they hold 15.5 gal.

Good luck!

Are they just regular kegs like miller lite and stuff come in? I had one of these that I may be able to get back.

Cool thanks. I guess it was owned by them but what is a deposit for? It's gone now though. I asked

Kegs are stainless steel by FDA law. Check CraigsList There are several here in the SF Bay area for sale right now. I have 2 uncut kegs for $50 each...

Aluminum is fine to boil wort in. I use a 15 gallon aluminum pot that came with a lid and strainer. My beer has been tasting fine. It's also pretty light, which is nice when pouring my beer into my fermenter. I may install a spigot so I can do 10 gallon batches.

So I found a keg (free dollars :) ). I work with metal from time to time so cutting the top off will be cake. But now I think a couple more problems will arise. The keggle is going to be way heavier than my previous kettle. Larger as well. And thicker walled. I was cooling my wort in an ice bath but now I think that could be difficult. I also think pouring the wort like I was will be difficult.

How should I go about cooling it now? I know about wort chillers but I'm wondering if they can be made. Would it be to my advantage to install a valve on the bottom of the keggle? How about a sight tube?

So I found a keg (free dollars :) ). I work with metal from time to time so cutting the top off will be cake. But now I think a couple more problems will arise. The keggle is going to be way heavier than my previous kettle. Larger as well. And thicker walled. I was cooling my wort in an ice bath but now I think that could be difficult. I also think pouring the wort like I was will be difficult.

How should I go about cooling it now? I know about wort chillers but I'm wondering if they can be made. Would it be to my advantage to install a valve on the bottom of the keggle? How about a sight tube?

Yup, it's going to be a lot heavier than your old kettle. I think you'll find that adding a spigot is worth its weight (or the weight you don't have to lift) in gold, but a sight-glass is less 'critical' in my opinion (though I'd add it anyway!).

There are a ton of threads in DIY forum that can point you in the right direction as far as chillers go. Do a quick search for immersion or counter-flow chiller. There are also reasonably priced commercial options for both. If you go commercial and have some cash to spend, you might also consider plate chillers.

Word of warning though; Once you start to DIY, there's no turning back. You'll spend as much time building as you do brewing, if not more :rockin:

DrDarwin said:
Yup, it's going to be a lot heavier than your old kettle. I think you'll find that adding a spigot is worth its weight (or the weight you don't have to lift) in gold, but a sight-glass is less 'critical' in my opinion (though I'd add it anyway!).

There are a ton of threads in DIY forum that can point you in the right direction as far as chillers go. Do a quick search for immersion or counter-flow chiller. There are also reasonably priced commercial options for both. If you go commercial and have some cash to spend, you might also consider plate chillers.

Word of warning though; Once you start to DIY, there's no turning back. You'll spend as much time building as you do brewing, if not more :rockin:

I like to build **** and I hate to spend money. I should have been an engineer. Hell I should run for president.

Back