When to trash it and start again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer yesterday and due to a stupid mistake of my own, pitched way too little yeast (thought I activated yeast, and didn't). So far (31 hours and counting) I'm not seeing any activity, I realize this is within the 24-48 hours range that the instructions say, but I'm wondering, what is the cut-off point where I should just trash this batch and start over from scratch?

I dont know if it matters, but I'm attempting to make the Norther Brewers Nut Brown Ale which uses Wyeast #1028 London Ale Yeast.

Also, an un-related questions. My OG (Original Gravity?) is about 14 off from what the recipe says it should be, is this normal, or did I mis-step somewhere?

Thanks for the help

Just wondering how did you pitch to little yeast? If nothing is happening tomorrow I would just buy some more yeast and re pitch. As long as your sanitation was good you should not have a problem.

Don't trash it.

Post your recipe.

If you don't activate those things it will take longer to start.

If it doesn't start by 48 hours, you can re-pitch with dry.

Relax. It will be OK.

Just buy some more yeast, activate it, and toss it in there. Unless you've got green nasties growing on top, it's not ruined, just delayed.......

In that case just give it time. One word of advise next order you make order a packet of dry yeast like Us-56 just to have on hand if something like this happens. Its cheap insurance for about a buck.

This place in Red Hook should have yeast.

Party Creations
345 Rokeby Road, Red Hook, NY 12571.
Phone: 845-758-0661
Email: [email protected]

If you can't get there maybe drop an email here, I'm sure someone could steer you in the direction of a packet of dry yeast.

New York City Homebrewers Guild
New York, NY
Email: [email protected]

When you find some buy an extra to keep on hand, just in case.

Man, this is why I look here for info. You guys are really a bunch of good guys. Good on Ya. :mug:

CG

Over the past hour or so some spotty white foam has formed on the surface of my beer. My airlock has yet to bubble but the surface is no longer clear. Assuming this is yeast activity and not mold, how long does it take for Krauseon (sp?) to form? How much notice do you have for a blow off? I'm going to be at work for 9 hours+ tomorrow, should I attach my blow-off just in case, to protect my closet and clothes?

Once you start to see some Krausen it should really get going within about 24 hours. It should be fine for the 9 hours you're away. Emphasis on 'should'.
If you have the tubing for a blow-off I guess it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and set that up.

I am a newbe and I hope this isnt against any posting rules. I am not advertising only trying to help.

Its a little ride from NYC but there is a home brew shop in Suffolk County (Long Island). It is under 50 miles from NYC. This is where I got my supplies.

www.arborwine.com
184 Islip Ave. (Route 111)
Islip, NY 11751

I also heard of one in nassau county but I dont know where. Maybe check that out too.

Back