Growing hops with dogs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breez7

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone grows hops that has dogs and if you worry about your dogs eating them since I read how bad they are for pets if they eat them. I really want to grow some this summer but am worried about doing it with my three dogs, should I be???

Welcome to HBT!

There are more plants than not that are toxic to dogs in most yards. Most bushes and flowers are considered toxic. Happily, most dogs do not go grazing like cows on the plants in the yard.

Welcome to HBT!

There are more plants than not that are toxic to dogs in most yards. Most bushes and flowers are considered toxic. Happily, most dogs do not go grazing like cows on the plants in the yard.

Yea, probably depends on the dog. My cows are stupid, if it's green it's fair game. The mutt that I herd the cows with is quite alot smarter. The kids dalmation however would probably eat them, excrete them and eat them again, then excrete them on my lawn as she convulsed, luckily though she would probably survive after numerous worry and veterinary billings. SWEEEET:rockin: That is why I will never own a "purebred" dog, she is dummer than a brew bucket full of lead.

My dog hasn't shown any interest in my hops whatsoever.

Also consider that the vast majority of cones will grow well off the ground. Can't imagine this would be a problem.

my dog will chew on rocks,sticks, and every thing else in the yard but he has never messed with any of my hop plants. they are bitter,and dont think a dog would want them.

Think I'm gonna go for it, they havn't eaten the Clivia I have growing inside yet so lets just hope they know to stay away from the hops too. Thanks for all the replys!

I bet my dog would leave 'em alone, he hardly even chews on dog toys.

However, my roommate's dog, who is ignored by his owner (my roommate) and chews on all my stuff...

Maybe planting hops would cure the problem!

I wouldn't want to take any chances, explaining the wife that you killed the dog is... difficult? Having said that, I grow hops and have dogs. My dogs like tall grass and never seemed to have interest in bines. I was worried about the cones so I placed a bowl of fresh hops on the floor while watching a movie "not" paying attention to the dog, so they do their thing. No interest. Like Sirsloop said, a fence of some kind couldn't hurt. If you have an open yard, deer and other outdoor animals may eat more of your hops than your dogs. So I fence can't hurt. Just material to consider...

Back