Not sure about this apfelwein...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killian_77

Reaction score
My first batch has a salty taste to it. It was in primary for 6 weeks and it has only been in the bottle for 2 weeks @ about 63*. I couldnt wait to try it though. It is hardly carbed at all. I think I need to bring it up out of the basement.
Has anyone had this salty taste before? It also still has sort of a sulphury smell to it as well. I am guessing it is just green.
I think next time I want more of a cider than a wine. Any suggestions?

probably is green, but salty? weird. I suppose it could be autolysis - yeast contains MSG natrually, which could probably taste salty if it was released into your beer.

Did you use Morton brand apple juice?

I used whatever Sam's carries. I cant remember right off the top of my head.

Ed.....You're just the guy I wanted to hear from! So do you recognize the taste/smell I am referring to? Think it is just green?
I just moved it to one of the spare bedrooms on the first floor to raise the temp a little. Ill give it a month or so and give it another try.
Now if that damn Irish Red would hurry up!

I have recognized the smell, but not the taste. I have not tasted Apfelwein younger than 4 months in a very long time. I try to let it go 6 to 8 months before tapping a keg.

Back