Need help fixing up a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
Two months ago I brewed up Rolf's Irish Red in hopes of having it for St Patty's Day. It didn't quite turn out the way I wanted. It's lacking any type of hop profile - no bitterness, no aroma, no flavor. And it's just a bland, somewhat malty sweet, dark-ish pale ale imo. I want to jazz it up. I'm thinking maybe dry hopping it, adding some sort of spice concoction, maybe jalapeno. I tried blending it with some of my stout (4:1 ratio), but that didn't do it. I would very much appreciate any suggestions on making a bland beer more interesting.
SG 1.051
FG 1.009

no bitterness, no aroma, no flavor

Looking at the recipe, you've got exactly what was intended. 23 IBU, no flavor or aroma adds.

I have an American hybrid that I've been experimenting with by filling a 2L bottle and adding things. Last night I tried some root beer extract and back-sweetened. If you have it in a keg, why not try a number of experiments?

You can't even taste the 23 IBU, though. It's odd.
It's still sitting in the secondary. I was thinking of doing a whole bunch of experiments, but I still want a final product I can drink. I was also wondering if tossing in a couple ounces of roast barley would do anything than add color. I wouldn't mind a little roast flavor in there. But that might get difficult with small test batches.

Don't forget that proper carbonation will do wonders for the flavor & feel of a beer. As for adding hop flavor & aroma, I had success using the french press hopping technique on an english pale ale that I thought needed more EKG presence.

For those unfamiliar with this technique, it basically involves making a hop tea in a french press & adding the tea to the keg.

Good luck!

dry hop it if it is in a keg. Just use the same hops at like a 1/4 oz. Don't forget to put it into a bag :)

Add some extract as mentioned above. Like orange or peach. Then you will get all fruit aroma, though not in the flavor. Works wonders for the ladies. Start with an ounce and you can always go higher.

Instant Coffee or a shot of espresso if you want a bit of roasty.

And last but not least, don't brew this again since you don't really like it.

Back