Specialty Grains for Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilbert

Reaction score
I am pulling together a wheat beer and I am wondering what type of specialty grains I should use in the recipe.

I'm going to make a honey wheat beer. My plan is to put the honey in after flameout so the flavor isn't overwhelling.

I am thinking of using a high L Crystal so I give a caramel flavor but I'm not sure if that will work or taste right.

I prefer nothing more than wheat malt and base malt in my wheat beers.

I've never done a American wheat and if that is what you are after then the world is the limit. Maybe I'd just a 1/2 pound of honey malt too to add some sweetness that your honey will dry out of the beer.

You could use Carmel malt or Munich, It would give you some extra flavor. However what you got there looks good the way it is.

Maybe I'd just a 1/2 pound of honey malt too to add some sweetness that your honey will dry out of the beer.

I like the honey malt in an American Wheat also. I would only use 1/4 pound though. In my experience, honey malt can be very overwhelming, and 1/2 pound can be way to much.

Thanks. I'm not sure if my LHBS carries honey malt.

RICLARK great avitar. I was just thinking about that movie.

I know some folks dont like to add Carapils to a wheat, but I like to for the body...It does make it somewhat out of style from a technical standpoint...

Thanks, I heard the other day on a radio show They are kicking around an Idea for a 3rd one. One could only hope.

The first one is still my favorite. What a classic. I found that movie by complete accident when it originally came out and have loved it ever since.

I use 1/2 lb cara-pils, flaked wheat, and two-row in pretty much all of my wheats. I used a lb. of honey malt in a peach-wheat once, and it definately was sweet to me. Pretty much everyone else loved it though, and that is what most of my fruit beers are all about.
:off:

I'll take the original Clerks for the dialogue, but you can't deny the donkey show scene in the second one for pure laughs. No matter how many times I watch the looks on the character's faces, it never gets old. One of the funniest scenes in cinema history IMO.

One other quesion for the group

I want to add honey to the end of the boil and I'm not sure how much honey to add. I'm not really looking for an overwhellming honey flavor. Just looking to add a little depth to the overall flavors.

I'm thinking of adding 2#'s of honey during the last minute of the boil. Is this a good or bad idea? Too much honey?

Thanks

Not intending to bring up a terribly old thread but I have to know

What movie are you referencing? I know the guy in the avatar but I watch a lot of movies and can't put my finger on it.

Also I am considering adding Cara-Pils/Dextrine to an American Wheat I'm brewing, how much percentage total should it be and what percentage for a crystal if I decide to add that as well? Using both mainly just for fullness/a foamy head. Not necessarily for flavor.

Back