Porter Recipe...Too hoppy??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levandr

Reaction score
I found this recipe, bought the ingredients without thinking and now I am questioning the recipe. This seems like an awful lot of hops.

Sanity check please.

Recipe:
7 lbs amber malt extract
1 lb black patent malt
.5 lb chocolate malt
.5 lb crystal malt, 60L
2 oz willamette at 50 minutes
2 oz cascade at 50 minutes
1 oz cascade at 10 minutes
1 oz northern brewer at 2 minutes
ale yeast

I count 6 oz of hops for a 5 gal batch. Still too new at brewing to determine if that is a lot but it seems like a lot.

I just ran your recipe through beersmith as a robust porter and it's off style in both IBUs(hops) and SRM(color). I would drop at least 1/2 ounce from each of the bittering additions, and I'd probably leave the 2 minute addition out entirely. I'd also cut that black patent in half if not more.

Here's a tweaked version of the recipe,

levandr's tweaked porter
Robust Porter

Type: Extract
Date: 6/5/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: levandr
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 82.35 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (50 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (50 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.05 %
Bitterness: 46.3 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 37.1 SRM Color: Color

+1 for c.n.budz. That is too much hops for a porter recipe, maybe not for an 'Imperial Porter' though. Also too much black patent. I'd go with 1# of chocolate and .5# of black patent, or maybe use roasted instead. Either way, dial down the black patent quite a bit.

i think 1/2 # black patent is still way high (percentage of total grist wise) . I would bring it down to 1/5 of a # even, its very strong stuff and you wouldnt want its roastyness to overtake the yummy chocolate flavor

The % of grist is a bit deceiving since it is an extract w/specialty grains recipe. The .5# in a RP works - that's what I put in mine along with 1# chocolate and it scored over 40 at NHC.

Also at that high a SG, it can stand to have IBUs in the low to mid 50s. I like c.n.'s hop suggestions, but I would maybe bump the starting hops by 1/3 to 1/2 of an ounce.

Back