First day with my ghettotastic rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiB57

Reaction score
I finshed my wood-based 3 tier a couple of weekends ago, but due to being sick and the weather not cooperating, today was the first time I got to use it :)

I'm draining a Belgin Wit right now, and a Pale Ale is up next (already mashed-in on that one, just waiting for the boil-pot to be cleared and cleaned.)

brewrig.jpg

It's not the prettiest rig I've seen, but it appears to be highly functional! Everything you need within reach, nice job.

I'm still brewing primitive...lifting, schlepping, pouring, etc. I wish I had the room to store a sculpture of some sort. My garage is already bursting at the seams.

have you thought about adding a cross brace in the middle of your 2x4's running length wise? It looks like thery're bowing already. Woulnd't want all the hot wort collapsing on you

Exactly what I was going for, function over form (and pretty cheap too.) It ain't pretty, but it does work

Although, I do need a pump now. The CFC drains too slowly in this setup (before I had a larger drop for the CFC and it drained faster) Oh, darn, have to buy more stuff.

IrregularPulse said:
have you thought about adding a cross brace in the middle of your 2x4's running length wise? It looks like thery're bowing already. Woulnd't want all the hot wort collapsing on you
Might not be a bad idea. I stressed tested it by jumping on it (and I"m a big guy 300+) so I figured it'd probably be pretty safe, but it might make sense to add some more bracing.

IrregularPulse said:
I thought that as well...one could probably pre-camber it a bit before fixing the cross brace in place.

Or, just add two more casters in the middle.

Is the CFC homemade?

No I bought the CFC from somewhere (I forget where now) a while ago. They were having a sale at the time I got it pretty cheap (cheaper than I could build it at the time)

BlindLemonLars said:
It's not the prettiest rig I've seen, but it appears to be highly functional! Everything you need within reach, nice job.

I'm still brewing primitive...lifting, schlepping, pouring, etc. I wish I had the room to store a sculpture of some sort. My garage is already bursting at the seams.

Me too. I'm still working on my AG chops. FSo far, I haven't had a problem with schlepping wort. Remember, it's a Lauter Grant, not a bucket. :)

I'd add two 2x4's, one on each side along the bottom. Run them perpendicular to the two that are bowing, as the two existing have no real strength the way they are oriented. I like the gravity feed rigs, the fewer pumps, the better.

Back