First 5 gal batch successfully bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rand0

Reaction score
Started out about 2 years ago with a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas and wanted to go bigger ever since. Didn't really have the space to go bigger until I recently bought my new house. Now I have plenty of space and I plan to brew 5 gal full volume extract batches for a while to hone my skills. I have a progression plan to get to all grain eventually but no rush. I've been reading these forums since the beginning and just wanted to thank everyone here for great advice and a wealth of knowledge.

Oh yeah first batch was NB Caribou Slobber. Hydro samples tasted really good can't wait until it's carbed and chilled.

Congratulations! HBT rules!! Just got my 3rd five gallon batch in the fermenter on Saturday after a five month long hiatus. Did my first yeast starter and used my DIY wort chiller for the first time. Let us know how the beer turns out. I've been looking at that same kit.

Tanks I will certainly post pics when it's finished. I will add though for anyone who is thinking of brewing you may want to add a blow off tube from the start. The Danstar Notingham yeast was pretty wicked. This was the airlock about 11 hours after pitching.

image-1371240323962-V.jpg

Rand0 said:
Tanks I will certainly post pics when it's finished. I will add though for anyone who is thinking of brewing you may want to add a blow off tube from the start. The Danstar Notingham yeast was pretty wicked. This was the airlock about 11 hours after pitching.

Blow off tube is a must during initial fermentation. I learned the hard way. Look forward to see your finished product

Nice! I started out the same way and just finished my 4th gallon batch after making 3 batches of Mr. Beer. All in less than a year! It's addicting

Cleared up quite nicely after a little less than a month. The taste is quite nice as well. This is by far the best beer I've brewed so far. I think I have some real winners on their way right behind this one.

IMAG0446[1].jpg

Rand0 said:
Cleared up quite nicely after a little less than a month. The taste is quite nice as well. This is by far the best beer I've brewed so far. I think I have some real winners on their way right behind this one.

Congrats man. Looks real nice.

Congratulations! Looks very tasty. I might have to give that kit a try. Used a blowoff tube for the first time on the Honey Weizen that's almost ready to bottle and glad I did. I used a starter with Wyeast 3068 and within 3 hours the blowoff tube was bubbling. I found that my bottling hose fit perfectly in the grommet for the airlock. It's a little narrower than ideal but it did the job. Cheers!

Congrats man! I did 5 Mr Beer batches and was only happy with one. When I found out I could brew twice as much for 1/2 the price and it would taste a million times better I bought my first 5gal carboy kit.

Thanks all, I look forward to a long never ending journey through the world of homebrewing. This forum has been invaluable to me in my brewing progression. I would not know half the stuff I know without it and I hope to one day be a valuable contributor to the forums. For now I will keep reading and researching and learn everything I can.

Back