Beers to try in Michigan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in North Michigan for a week (at the Michigan Technical University) and was wondering if you had any recommendations for beers I should try.

I'm relatively new to the US craft beer scene as I'm from Canada and it's difficult to get a hold of most of the beers south if the border. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jay

Northpeak and Right Brain are probably closest to where you are going to be, I'd say try your favorite style by them (that I know of, I'm in South Eastern MI, there's probably a ton more up there, they're not really all that close to you but compared to the others in southern MI...).

As far as best Michigan beers, I'd say Founders Breakfast Stout, Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Double Cream Stout, New Holland Mad Hatter IPA, Darkhorse Special Black Biere Ale, and Shorts Huma Lupa Licious

anything by these brewers is usually pretty good:
Bell's, New Holland, Shorts, Arbor Brewing Co, Atwater, Dragonmead, Kuhnhenns, North Peak, Motor City, Right Brain, Dark Horse, Founders, Frankenmuth, Jolly Pumpkin, Odd Side, and Greenbush

Awesome, thanks for your I put. There are a couple brew pubs around here that I'm going to check out too.

So far we've bought:
New holland cabin fever
Band of brewers third shift
New Belgium brewing fat tire
Steven points brewery cascade pale ale
Leinenkugel brewing honey weisse
Bells best brown ale
New holland mad hatter
Leinenkugel vanilla porter
Leinenkugel classic amber
New Belgium snow day ale
Sierra Nevada pale ale
Sierra Nevada torpedo
Founders dirty bastard
Samuel Adams Boston lager
Samuel Adams maple pecan porter
Samuel Adams alpine spring
Samuel Adams double agent IPL
Samuel Adams white lantern
Samuel Adams Irish red

I know a lot of these aren't from Michigan, but we bought as much "craft" beer as we could see. This was basically everything we saw on the shelf a that weren't natty ice, Budweiser, etc...

Out of these, which are your favorites? What should I keep my out for in other liquor stores?
Thanks again!

Good call on the dirty bastard MD.

Some are MI, but Leinenkugel is OK but it's inBev and not really craft beer, Sierra Nevada is Cali, Sam Adams is obv. Boston, New Belgium is Colorado. Never heard of Band of brewers or Steven Points, let us know how they are, I've only had 1/2 of those.

If you're looking for Michigan Beers, you really want to find anything from

Bell's
Founder's
Dark Horse,
Greenbush
Dragonmead
Motor City Brew Works
North Peaks
Shorts

Damn, I'm pissed about the Third shift amber ale and the Leinenkugel. It's ridiculous that even in my naive attempt to avoid the big names... I still end up buying them.

However, in their defense, I did enjoy the Third shift amber.

For whoever is wondering, the Stevens point cascade ale is decent... nothing spectacular. It had a lack of flavor and appeared to be water in comparison to the sierra nevada pale ale which I'd assume it is trying to model.

Has anyone tried Keweenaw brewing co. or library bar and restaurant? Thinking of checking that out sometime this week.

Thanks for the input! I'll look for all of these suggestions when I make it to the liquor store next.

Damn, I'm pissed about the Third shift amber ale and the Leinenkugel. It's ridiculous that even in my naive attempt to avoid the big names... I still end up buying them.

For whoever is wondering, the Stevens point cascade ale is decent... nothing spectacular. It had a lack of flavor and appeared to be water in comparison to the sierra nevada pale ale which I'd assume it is trying to model.

Has anyone tried Keweenaw brewing co. or library bar and restaurant? Thinking of checking that out sometime this week.

Thanks for the input! I'll look for all of these suggestions when I make it to the liquor store next.

Third Shift says "Coors Master Brewers" on the label

I've been to the Library and it's pretty good. We skipped Keewenau after some advice from friends. It's in the stores so you can try it cheaper than you can by visiting the taproom. I second Founders, Bells, Shorts (if you like weird stuff!). Right Brain will be hard to find. They are not close to Mich Tech and still pretty rare in bottles.

The Vierling in Marquette is a great place for food and beer. I doubt you will get over that way, but if by happenstance, you should check it out. There is also Blackrocks in Marquette. When I went there they were just starting out and could hardly keep up, therefore the beer was still very young and hardly clear at all, but the locals were still drinking it up like crazy it seemed. Hopefully they've caught up with demand and are able to brew on a better schedule. It's worth checking out too IMO. Small brewery in an old house.

I've had Keweenaw on Tap and in bottles. It's decent. Nothing exciting as some of our other Michigan Beers, but good solid drikers. I like the Cerveza, it's a good lawnmower beer on a hot day, especially with Mexican food.

On top of everything else I would look for Atwater Brewing Vanilla Java Porter and Winter Bock. And anything Brewery Vivant.

Not really much for craft beer in the area, but KBC is fun in the tap room and the beer is "ok" but not great. It's underattenuated, and a bit sweet, and the college kids love it.

The Library is "ok" as well. Their hoppy beer, I think it's "Miner's something" is decent. Food is overpriced and decent as well.

I don't know if you can find Short's in a bottle shop (doubt it) but Bell's is good, and so is Founder's.

fizgig said:
Does vivant only make Belgians? That's all I've ever seen, very good though.

Looks that way from the website. I go to MI on vacation every year and the guys at the bottle shop know their stuff. They recommended that Triomphe Ipa. I was blown away.

I also stock up on Short's when I go up. Everything else I can get locally for cheaper.

I didn't realize that Right Brain bottled at all. I thought they were exclusively a tap room. Damn good beer though.

false!
600472_10151220585801008_740487149_n.jpg

Does vivant only make Belgians? That's all I've ever seen, very good though.

all of their beers are Belgian inspired, as well as the food in the tap house. I believe their head brewer and/ or owner spent some time in Europe studying the styles.

Couple Indiana beers that you should be able to find where you are would be Three Floyd's Zombie Dust, Three Floyd's Gumballhead, and Four Hourseman's Irish Red.

Its been said several times before, but Bell's has a lot of good beer. Two Hearted is one of my all time favorites.

I think they moved to a bigger place too, maybe they will get wider-spread distribution as they can now make more, but 4 places have it on tap in 5-10 minutes walking distance from my house so I'm not too worried about getting bottles.

Those were the imperials, here's their IPA bottle label.

841150_10151209144436008_134950539_o.jpg

Bell's Hopslam
Founders Breakfast Stout
Dark Horse Plead the Fifth
Jolly Pumpkin La Roja
Brewery Vivant Tripel
Oddside Citra PA if you see it on tap
Founders Harvest tops my list, keep an eye out for it next Fall.

Anything by Jolly Pumkin, they are easily one of the best sour/wild ale producers in the country
Founders especially their malt forward stuff..porter and breakfast stout are my fav
Shorts, especially huma lupa. Soft parade gets lots of love but it's not my thing

I forgot about New Holland! Dragon's Milk is probalby my favorite of theirs, but I enjoy their other stuff too. Their Saison is pretty good.

Brewery Vivant is pretty much Belgian only. I prefer the Farmhand and some of their other stuff I can drink, but I'm not much into most Belgian inspired beer. Actually, I really enjoyed their Big Red Coq...

Right Brain is bottling the occasional batch of 22 ounce bombers. I have not personally seen one of their bottles, but I know they bottled up a Pigs Head beer not long ago. Yes, with Pig parts in it... Was supposed to visit Right Brain couple of weekends ago, but didn't make it there. I really liked the atmosphere of their old place, but it was JUST TOO SMALL, really.

Right Brain is bottling the occasional batch of 22 ounce bombers. I have not personally seen one of their bottles, but I know they bottled up a Pigs Head beer not long ago. Yes, with Pig parts in it... Was supposed to visit Right Brain couple of weekends ago, but didn't make it there. I really liked the atmosphere of their old place, but it was JUST TOO SMALL, really.

Their new place is huge. It almost feels too big until you go on a Friday night...

Wow, thanks for all of the recommendations! So far I've found a lot of bell's, but shorts and founders has been hard to find. When I get a hold of them I'll let very one know which is my favourite.

I have to say, mad hatter is pretty good!

I think Mad Hatter is the normal person's kind of IPA. I prefer mine to be a bit sweeter, like Two Hearted. The MH is a bit dry and harsh for me, but probably hits the IPA lover's definition a bit closer.

Bells ought to be fairly easy, but Mich Tech is way up there. Shorts has a bunch of "oddball" offerings as well. Definitely worth seeking out if you like trying new things. You can't go wrong with the taproom if ever you make it over that way. (BTW Traverse City is turning into some kind of Up North Beer Hotbed! It would make a nice Beercation getaway destination IMO!)

Latest posts

Back