Handy Acronyms...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Most of us understand the basic brewing acronyms, but I think we need to have a sticky for ones that we a) either need to start saying more often, or b) needed to be created for our viewing pleasure.

I have a few that I've used here or use on other forums, that MUST be incorporated in this place, seeing it is my favorite fourm.

Category:Abbreviations - Home Brewing Wiki

1. NIF--If you've watched the Big Lebowski, you'll instantly know this one...."Nothing Is Fu$%ed"..I figure this will be handy to use for the n00bs (no offense noobs, we've all been there!) when they ask "should I secondary", or "is my beer ruined"....

2. SWMBO--S** W** M*** B* O*****, referring to wife/girlfriend/etc. Blatantly and shamelessly stolen from the green board (Who Stole it from Rumpole of the Bailey) but too damn good not to use it here. It is just awesome.

3. RDWHAHB--Classic. Everyone knows this, from the great Charlie Papazian. Use it often, and use it for the n00bs as well. Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew!

4. WWOCMFS--I came up with this one myself--and it will be used as an inside joke to infer sarcasm. If you've been around the forum at all in the past few weeks, you've read the numerous threads that our nice :rolleyes: (and now banned) Marine friend contributed to. Nuff said. Here's what it means; use it often. What Would Our Classy Marine Friend Say?

IMO = in my opinion
IMHO = in my humble opinion

Category:Abbreviations - Home Brewing Wiki

By all means, add more. ;)

Being in a technical field, I have always like RTFM (Read The F***ing Manual) and I use it often for people who get neck deep without reading up/researching/understanding what they are doing.

Here's a few more semi-uncommon ones:

KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
SWAG - Scientific Wild Arse Guess

One's I made up for the heck of it ;)

LATS - "Look At The Sun", a completely relatively meaningless phrase that my buddies and I say. Seemed to come after a particullarly length coding session. Best used after an all-nighter, etc. Show temperary(?) dementia (or the feigning thereof.)
YAPT - Yeast Are People Too. Show yeast love and respect, and your brewing shall be rewarded :)

Wouldn't want you to have to ban yourself El P:

FUBAR: F**ked Up Beyond All Recognition
SNAFU: Situation Normal, All F**ked Up

I have no idea what WWFSMD stands for, sorry dude.

AHU

These have no relation to brewing at all, but being in IT I kinda like 'em.
The first is pronounced is an error commonly seen when you work on a support desk. (which I did for a while and barely escaped with my sanity)
It's an "eye dee ten tee error" Now let's look at it written normally....
ID10T error

The second is pronounced as it looks. PEBKAC.
Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

LupusUmbrus said:
What Would (the) Flying Spaghetti Monster Do :D

edit: and I'm not kidding either :)

You know, I googled WWFSMD and that's what came up. Thought it must be wrong. WTF does that mean?

AHU

Just do a google for "Flying Spaghetti Monster". There's more to it then I could reliably rattle off from the top of my head.

LupusUmbrus said:
What Would (the) Flying Spaghetti Monster Do :D

edit: and I'm not kidding either :)
Good to see there's at least one other devout pastafarian here. :D
fsm_ninja.gif

Dude said:
2. SWMBO--She Who Must Be Obeyed, referring to wife/girlfriend/etc. Blatantly and shamelessly stolen from the green board but too damn good not to use it here. It is just awesome.
I have been wondering what that one was all about but I sort of got the inference.A common one I see on the AVS Forums is WAF.
WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor

timdsmith72 said:
These have no relation to brewing at all, but being in IT I kinda like 'em.
The first is pronounced is an error commonly seen when you work on a support desk. (which I did for a while and barely escaped with my sanity)
It's an "eye dee ten tee error" Now let's look at it written normally....
ID10T error

The second is pronounced as it looks. PEBKAC.
Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair
We say that "I D Ten Tango" as in you need to fill out an ID10T form to get a box of BA-1100 Novembers (spells BALLOONS)!:eek:

GAS may be useful here. I see it used mainly on guitar forums, meaning "Gear Acquisition Syndrome." As in, "I've been seriously GASing for a Triple Rectifier for a while now."

I think the concept applies to us brewers, too.

El Pistolero said:
Now that's just disgusting :mad: ...I think...isn't it? :confused:

Heh....I guess that does kinda sound like a procotologist's fantasy, huh? :cross:

Maybe I shoulda said '53 Tele, rather than Triple Rectifier. Oh well.

One I use alot but not usually on the net is a WWII US Navy code

BZ32V (Bravo Zulu thirty two Victor)

BZ being the code for job well done and 32V being the old code for air/sea rescue which was commonly refered to as Dumbo. Over time Dumbo has been change to dumb @55. So next time someone you work with or for really screws the pooch just look at them and say BZ32V

How about BAMFB for a particularly strong beer ? Heard it once used to describe large trucks ( BAMFT).
Buddy of mine went through a driving class in the USMC. The instructor told them they'd be driving cars, jeeps, LT's( light trucks) and BAMFT's. Thought it was funny.

SwAMi75 said:
Heh....I guess that does kinda sound like a procotologist's fantasy, huh? :cross:

Reminds me of one of the dumbest jokes ever...

Q: What do you call a Jamaican proctologist?
A: Pokemon

(apologies in case there's any Jamaican HBs on the board!) ;)

This thread reminds me too much of my MBA classes. EVERYTHING is acronymed - SWOT, CAPM, ATP, GAAP, IRR, S/O, EDD, FCFS, EDLP, SPT, SAF, Y'/Y, etc etc.

[ANALRETENTIVE]
Technically an acronym is a word formed from the initial letters of a phrase/name and is pronounced as a word (e.g. 'fubar'), whereas an abbreviation is simply the assemblage of the initials and is referred to by pronouncing the letters (e.g. RDWHAHB).
[/ANALRETENTIVE]

I now return you to your regularly scheduled homebrewing

skifast1 said:
[ANALRETENTIVE]
Technically an acronym is a word formed from the initial letters of a phrase/name and is pronounced as a word (e.g. 'fubar'), whereas an abbreviation is simply the assemblage of the initials and is referred to by pronouncing the letters (e.g. RDWHAHB).
[/ANALRETENTIVE]

I now return you to your regularly scheduled homebrewing

Nerd.

Thanks for spoiling our fun. :p

Cheesefood said:
This thread reminds me too much of my MBA classes. EVERYTHING is acronymed - SWOT, CAPM, ATP, GAAP, IRR, S/O, EDD, FCFS, EDLP, SPT, SAF, Y'/Y, etc etc.

I went to CDIS at BCIT that was in between BCAA and IBM, and across from BCIT. I had a girlfriend that went to SFU and friends that went to UBC. Now they call CDIS; AI-VB.

:drunk:

FWIW, I'm happy there's a way to search the forum, otherwise I would have never guessed "And Suds Sippers" in GRABASS.... :D

(yeah that's had me puzzled for a while. I'm easily puzzled :drunk: )

Ize

Back