Making a tri clamp element adapter weldless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjash

Reaction score
Anyone ever try to make one of the Brewers Hardware 1/1.5" triclamp element adapters (here) weldless by using a tri-clamp to male NPT fitting (here)? Pass the threads through a hole in the kettle, seal it up with a 1.5" locknut and silicone washer; maybe one on either side. Basically, a bigazz weldless fitting.

Just curious if anyone has tried it, and what the drawbacks might be.

Assuming that's not possible - anyone know a good welder in the DC area? What does it usually cost to have a 1.5" tri clamp fitting welded on?

A straight element would fit, however, without welding a washer or flange to the 1.5” MPT fitting there would be no place for it to catch or seal. The widest point is the threads, the hex is actually undercut behind the threads. My other worry would be getting an o-ring to seal unless the curve diameter of the vessel is very large or you create a flat spot on the wall

That just in from Brewers Hardware. VERY fast reply - great service from those guys! I sent a note to their general product inquiry link at the same time I posted the message above.

Confirms some of my worries. Might work with a couple of locknuts on the outside to provide something to tighten against, but 1 1/2" locknuts are $14/ea. Probably less hassle to just have it welded.

I think I am going to try this. I found cheaper lock nuts on ebay that have O-Ring grooves. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-LOCKNUT...-NUT-O-Ring-Groove-Pipe-fitting-/290700319741

So if you use this on the outside of a keggle, use pipe tape to seal the threads, and then an oring snug in that groove, you should be able to get a seal. If needed, you could even tap the area where this attaches to the keg flat to ensure a seal. But I think by tightening a lock nut on the inside of the keggle should create enough pressure.

Check out the sticky in the DIY forum on soldering stainless steel. Folks are getting beautiful results drilling, dimpling and soldering in their fittings. Someone was able to do it with a TC ferrule. The thread is now 100+ pages long, and I wasn't able to find that post specifically in 5 minutes of searching, but it's worth reading through anyway.

If you're fairly handy, but just aren't equipped/skilled to TIG in your fittings, it's really worth a look.

Check out the sticky in the DIY forum on soldering stainless steel. Folks are getting beautiful results drilling, dimpling and soldering in their fittings. Someone was able to do it with a TC ferrule. The thread is now 100+ pages long, and I wasn't able to find that post specifically in 5 minutes of searching, but it's worth reading through anyway.

If you're fairly handy, but just aren't equipped/skilled to TIG in your fittings, it's really worth a look.

Yeah after doing some more research I am going this method. Cost/risk adds up too fast with weldless options.

Back