can I salvage this??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fruitbat

Reaction score
A little more than a year ago I started on some cider. My recipe is from "The Homebrewers Garden." I let it ferment and racked it a few times. I forgot about it the carboy dried out. I have no idea how long it had been like that!! Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Drew

A little more than a year ago I started on some cider. My recipe is from "The Homebrewers Garden." I let it ferment and racked it a few times. I forgot about it the carboy dried out. I have no idea how long it had been like that!! Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Drew

The carboy dried out, or the airlock dried out? If the carboy dried out, then problem solved, there is nothing left to drink. If the airlock dried out (which is what I am guessing you mean) then I'd say prepare to bottle it, but before doing so sample some and see how it tastes.

Yes... I did mean the airlock... ;) Do i need to add more yeast to make it a sparkling cider? Or is it past that point?

If it sat long enough to dry out the airlock then I'd add more yeast when bottling just to be sure. Yeast is cheap.

dont know if this helps at all, but i let my recent cider ferment for about 6 months and it carbed up no problem, and fast too, no extra yeast added. not sure how much an extra 6 months would affect things. can't hurt tho, and as said, cheap too.

Back