propane price @ gallon exchange tank VS owned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmodog51

Reaction score
this is from an owner's review on a purchased tank from lowes home improvement:
thought it may help to know options....i guess some folks use the exchange tanks as opposed to owning.....
"This is an inexpensive, high-quality propane tank with the modern OPV (Overfill-Protection Valve). It has the new external threads (righty tightey) for connecting modern grills and appliances - most of which can be hand tightened. On the inside of this tank's nozzle it still has the older style threads (left to tighten) for backwards compatibility with older "propane accessories." That said, you will still need a wrench to connect your 20 year old Webber to the older (reverse) threads. ;-)The one I got weighs in at 16.56 lbs. and when totally full weights 35.79 lbs. This means the total capacity is 19.23 lbs. (4.57 gallons) of Propane. It cost me $14.63 (at $3.25/gallon) for the initial fill.Obviously, if you bring it in to have it topped off, you pay for only the amount added to the cylinder (unless you go to a place with a flat-rate).***********************************Now let's compare owning your own cylinder to an exchange:Exchanged Tank: Filled to only 15 lbs. (3.57 gallons) Propane for $22.95 ($6.42 / Gallon is your cost)."

the tank at home depot, same brand holds 4.7 gal according to reviewers....

:mug:
GD51

Wait until you get a 100lb or larger tank. The price per gallon goes down quite a bit.

At the local propane company here regardless of how small or large I pay $2.39 a gallon and the small tanks at the exchange are 19.99 with your exchange or 34.99 without an exchange tank.

maybe the ownership thing is only viable in the deep south where propane isn't as in demand as in colder climes......

still good to know for us southern boys.......
blue rhino & american propane are the two big exchangers in our neck of the woods.

GD51

maybe the ownership thing is only viable in the deep south where propane isn't as in demand as in colder climes......

still good to know for us southern boys.......
blue rhino & american propane are the two big exchangers in our neck of the woods.

GD51

In either method you still have to buy the first tank. If you don't have a tank exchange you will pay for a tank plus fill. Around here we use pounds and not gallons. 80¢ a lb which equals $3.40 a gallon. It cost $ 22.95 for 15# Blue Rhino. $ 16.00 for 20# at the refill place. If I have a tank with 5# left and I take it to refill I get 15# for $12.00

The local gas stations and box stores exchange is between $18 and $24. The last time I needed some, about 2 months ago I went to my local building supply, they do filling, and asked if they would fill a Blue Rhino tank. No problem $12! And they fill it fuller!

I picked up my tanks beside the road out for trash. Exchanged for newer filled tank.

4.7-4.8 gallons is $13 and change
a swap is $20 and only 3.75 gallons in the swap tank

I don't own my 100lb tank (propane company has loaned it to me) but a recent 95lb fill cost me $65 after taxes

Wow, I've been getting hosed on the exchanges. Time to start getting refills. Looks like Tractor Supply and ACE both offer refills around here.

The only time I exchange is when a tank is out of test.

this.
most places here aren't to picky about checking propane certs, but old nasty yardsale tanks can be had for a couple dollars attached to a grill and those tanks go right to the exchange.

You have to be careful with blue rhino. They have 2 valve styles OPD and TS2
TS2 valve have a steel check valve that needs to be held back with a magnet when filling.

d7503a4b.jpg

I don't think blue rhino is still making them but some are still floating around

In either method you still have to buy the first tank. If you don't have a tank exchange you will pay for a tank plus fill. Around here we use pounds and not gallons. 80¢ a lb which equals $3.40 a gallon. It cost $ 22.95 for 15# Blue Rhino. $ 16.00 for 20# at the refill place. If I have a tank with 5# left and I take it to refill I get 15# for $12.00

My local hardware store only charges around 32 cents per lb which is a steal compared to the local CVS or Home Depot which do tank exchanges where you only get 15 lbs in a 20 lb tank.

I got my tank from the gas station next to my house because it was close and I wanted to be sure I could swap out in case of brew day emergency. I really just find an excuse to go into town to ACE and fill it. So much cheaper and I can grab lunch while I'm out.

Place near me charges $20 for a 20# (legit 20#) fill. Considering the exchanges are like $18-$20 for 17# or so and they have much better hours (Lowe's open until 10 or 11 and 7-Eleven open 24hrs), I just do the exchange.

Around here U-Haul has really good rates on propane fills, although I've heard that Sinclair beats them I would have to drive twice as far to find a Sinclair station.

i had my lowes (worthington 20lbs tanks) bought new for $29.99 filled for last week for $15.00 ea!:ban:
and they fill them more than what the exchange tanks hold.....i'm happy!

GD51:mug:

Back