Blowout, Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter6190

Reaction score
My mead is in its primary Ferm, and i added some yeast energizer which promptly resulted in a violent blowout. i lost about 1/5 gallon of mead. But I have no idea if its a lost cause or not? I re-santized the airlock and got it back in place as quickly as possible. and now im getting a bubble of c02 about ever 7-9 seconds. much slower than it was previously. This is 4 days into primary.
I will note though that the bit i licked off my hand was very tasty though. and alcoholic.

I had this happen to my last batch of Hefeweizen. It was my first time using one of the Wyeast smack packs. Very aggressive primary fermentation. It wort was bubbling out through my air lock for about a day. When it stopped I replaced the airlock with a clean and sanitized airlock and waited another week before going to secondary. That beer is now in bottles with no ill effects or off flavors. I'm sure your mead will be fine.

Its fine, I have had it happen a few times. just the mentos and diet coke effect.

i hear there is product that helps with foam over - called fermcap - i think i am going to try it. I always loose a lot of beer to this with my big winter ales. not this year i hope!

Its actually back what it was before I even added the energizer. Which I didn't expect. No signs of contamination either

For your next batch combine aeration with your step nutrient additions.

Either give your fermenter a shake or stir before adding the nutrients, start slow with either, let it foam and calm down, then more vigourously until you are giving it a good mixing.

This will help add some oxygen which you want in the begining of primary fermentation as well as off gas the suspended CO2, both make the yeast happy. After doing this add your nutrients, I like adding just enough water to them to make a thin paste or thick slurry, it just seems to help mix it in easier. By doing the aeration first, you will prevent the mead geyser. Without aerating, as soon as you dump the nutrients in it create thousands of nucleation points and your mead spontaneously degasses all over you and the floor and the ceiling.

Back