Do I have an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toestothesun

Reaction score
2 questions.

1. I just made this beer last night and I'm not sure if this looks normal or not so I figured I'd post a picture and ask. If it does look like an infection, what should I do?

2. Also, I have some yeast pellets that didn't quite make it down into the carboy (they're on the side and up around the neck), what should I do to get them down in the beer or should I leave them alone? I just worry here about those getting infected?:eek:

Thanks everyone

Beer1.jpg

Beer2.jpg

Any ideas on what I should do for the pellets that are on the side and/or stuck in the neck?

Thanks, not sure if it matters or not but the batch I'm talking about that has the pellets in the neck and on the side is not in this picture. That said, should I swirl the carboy to try and get them down in the beer or once again leave it alone?

Thanks, not sure if it matters or not but the batch I'm talking about that has the pellets in the neck and on the side is not in this picture. That said, should I swirl the carboy to try and get them down in the beer or once again leave it alone?
Nope, you're fine. This looks perfectly normal, and is actually a good sign to see this much krauesen on your wort after a little over 12 hours (based on you saying you made it last night).

As for the yeast stuck to the neck, just leave it alone. Most of the yeast made it into the wort, and reproduced to get the job done. Shaking or swirling that carboy to dissolve them is not necessary and may actually harm your beer by introducing oxygen. Consider the yeast that didn't make it a sacrifice to Ninkasi.

2 questions.

1. I just made this beer last night and I'm not sure if this looks normal or not so I figured I'd post a picture and ask. If it does look like an infection, what should I do?

2. Also, I have some yeast pellets that didn't quite make it down into the carboy (they're on the side and up around the neck), what should I do to get them down in the beer or should I leave them alone? I just worry here about those getting infected?:eek:

Thanks everyone

Looks delicious. Leave it alone.

It's definitely infected. I specialize in getting rid of batches like this. Send it to me and I'll take care of it for you, no questions asked... :p

It's definitely infected. I specialize in getting rid of batches like this. Send it to me and I'll take care of it for you, no questions asked... :p

d@mn, day late and a dollar short! story of my life. :ban:

OP, i think you need to do a search for 'RDWHAHB' here on HBT. the beer in the pictures looks completely normal, albeit it's defying the laws of gravity, but that shouldn't hurt it.
as for the few yeasties that are stuck to the side of the vessel, leave 'em. you'd risk oxidation shaking the carboy at this point.

again, RDW and let these batches do their thing. :mug:

Everything looks normal.

Relax. Don't Worry. Have a Home Brew! Or a store-bought, if this is your first batch.

Mike

twheelz said:

As do i, i will even return the carboy

Back