Fermentation Chamber Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickademus

Reaction score
This is my first post here but I have been lurking for a little over a year. I recently came across a freezer which I had intended to use as a kegerator, however once I picked it up I realized that the colling elements were inside the freezer on each shelf. I dont want to bend the tubing but I figured I would cut some holes in the side of the freezer and build a chamber next to the freezer and push the cool air in with a few inline fans. this is a full size stand up freezer and it takes up alot of space and I would love to take it apart but I have never done anything like that before any suggestions?

I will post some pictures on here tomorrow. but I dont know if I should just drill the holes or if I should take the thing apart and build a whole new chamber.

I posted this on another post today, but it works here as well:

Keep in mind, go big here.

Remember you also have to condition the beer in your bottles for 3 weeks as well.

My goal is to replace my store bought beer with home brew, thats a lot of beer.

I bought a full size freezer on Craig's list for $50 bucks. A thermostat controller from the local Brew Store for $60. This is all in the garage.

The problem with the freezer was that the coils were part of the shelves. So I had to buy a pipe bender from Home Depot for $20, and bend the coils flat against the back wall of the freezer. Do NOT do this by hand, get a pipe bender.

(this was physically quite hard to do because of the combined space. I had some extra 3/8 copper pipe that I practiced on first to get the hang of the pipe bender. This is not the coiled spring bender, you cant use that, you have to buy the type that goes over the pipe, not around it. And while it is a confusing tool to use, once you practice it, you can do it.)

I left the middle shelf in place, and can now ferment 4 Ale pales, at 68 degrees.

I live in Arizona, so I have to also condition the beer in the freezer for 3 weeks as well. So I used a Drimmel roto tool and cut out all the shelves from the door. And but in 4 shelves to hold 24oz bottles.

With a staggered brew schedule and only 3 primaries going at any one time, I can condition 70 24 oz bottles at a time.

Latest posts

Back