Beer above the mason-dixon line...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
I'm driving my girlfriend back to NY from NC this weekend and I figure I may as well try to pick up some regional beers I may not be able to find here in the south while I'm at it.

Anyway, I'll be heading up interstate 81, going through Maryland, PA and NY. Anyone got any suggestions for me? Specifically I'm looking for a nice craft beer store where I could stop in and pick up a few singles/bombers I may not be able to find at home. 120 Minute IPA is already on the list for novelty's sake, I just need to know of a place that would carry it.

Harrisburg is probably my best bet but if anyone knows anywhere else along the way, I'd be happy to give it a shot!

Is Del above the Mason-Dixon line? I don't remember US history that well.

Hook yourself up with some of Great Lakes finest. I highly recommend their Burning River.

We actually just started getting Great Lakes' stuff here in NC a few months back. I'm loving the Edmund Fitzgereld Porter as well as the Burning River IPA.

Oh and yeah, Delaware is technically above (to the east of) the mason-dixon.

In Pennsylvania, you won't be able to buy anything smaller than a case (unless that's changed since my days in State College) and the cases are sold through a distributor.

Six packs can only be bought in places where you can also drink the beer (so, distributors and convenience stores are out).

Wow.. I cannot believe that noone has mentioned Yuengling yet. If you're going through PA, definitely pick some up. It's America's oldest brewery! I can't really say that it's my FAVORITE beer, but I do look forward to drinking it when I make my way out to PA or NY. Unfortunately, it's not sold here in Ohio.

On your way down I-95, stop off at DuClaw in the Arundel Mills shopping center just south of Baltimore-Washington International Airport.

Wow, I had no idea the beer laws were so weird in PA. Maybe I'll try NY or Maryland.

Also, Yuengling is pretty old hat for me. It's been available in NC for quite a while and I personally don't find their stuff to be very good. I'd drink it over BMC, but that's about it.

If I wasn't an idiot, I would have read the OP more thoroughly... DuClaw is actually a brewpub. Don't know if they sell singles...

I live in PA... it's the LAST place you wanna buy beer unless you're visiting a brewery. Beer is 45% more expensive, you have to buy a case at a time (unless you go to a six pack shop), and they don't sell it in convenience or grocery stores. Go for Maryland instead bro.

One of the better breweries in Maryland... http://www.hsbeer.com/

Again, don't know if they sell beer at the brewery, but I do know you have to sign up in advance for tours. Hugh is a great guy, though! And I haven't had a bad beer from them yet.

I don't know of any breweries in that area, but becareful about driving through "dry" counties, if there are even any in that region.

Once you get to NY there are a few different places you can check out. Sounds like upstate NY might be your destination. Whereabouts?

Syracuse:
http://www.middleagesbrewing.com/

Rochester:
http://www.beersoftheworld.biz
http://www.custombrewcrafters.com

Horseheads:
http://www.horseheadsbrewing.com

Utica:
http://www.saranac.com

Just about anywhere you can find a Wegman's grocery store you'll find a lot of good local microbrews:
http://www.wegmans.com

If you really keep going up 81:
Sackets Harbor:
http://www.1812ale.com/

Hope it helped!

Try to find some of Stout's products. Their American Pale Ale is one of my favorites. They're in Adamstown which is right down the road from me in Lancaster County. You might find it in MD which would be cheaper but be careful crossing the border.

If you want to try a decent Yuengling product that you might not have considered, try their Lord Chesterfield Ale. I prefer it over their much more famous lager. Their Porter is pretty popular as well.

Ithaca Brewery isn't too far off. And if you're just looking for beer stores, Finger Lakes Beverage is in that area (Beers of the World is a bit west).

Add: Ithaca is south of Syracuse

if you're coming up 81, there's a decent beverage store in Winchester, VA that has a little homebrew stuff.

if you want, I'll trade ya 6 homebrews. heck, I'll give em to ya, but it be cool to taste somebody elses stuff.

If you are looking for a very, very well stocked store, go to Beltway Fine Wines in Towson. They have pretty much everthing. Its a liquor store where they have shopping carts, 12 registers, staff members to help you with your selection of beer and wine (and liquor). It is really the size of a grocery store. They sell a ton of singles, bombers and sixers. They are also willing to get anything in that they don't regularly carry.

You really can fill a shopping cart with sixes of craft beers (I have done it on quite a few occasions.

Also a huge wine selection.

It is about 5 minutes from 95, literally right on the exit ramp.

Wow, I had no idea the beer laws were so weird in PA. Maybe I'll try NY or Maryland.

Yeah, PA still has these weird distribution laws that makes some of the distribution laws in the bible belt look sane. You have to go to special drive up beer stores that only sells cases of beer: so their selections are nothing special. Bars are the only places that can sell singles....though I've never found a beer lover's bar when visiting PA. My dad's side of the family is from Pittsburgh, so I've tried Iron City beer. They're fairly good, but nothing I'd go out of my way to try.

Here are some great beers to get:

Anything from the Heavy Seas line from Clipper City - Loose Cannon is a great choice.

If you stop at a liquor store in Maryland, esp. near Baltimore, look for a beer called Resurrection Ale - its from The Brewer's Art, recently picked number two bar in America by Esquire.

And DuClaw's does sell growlers last time I was there.

Also, please don't forget Dogfish Head. 60 minute IPA is a landmark East Coast IPA.

Also, please don't forget Dogfish Head. 60 minute IPA is a landmark East Coast IPA.

For a good DIPA, I like Weyerbacher...ironically in PA, which I know I just dissed for its weird distribution: at least I can find Weyerbacher here in GA, but haven't seen it in PA.

Once you get to NY there are a few different places you can check out. Sounds like upstate NY might be your destination. Whereabouts?

Syracuse:
http://www.middleagesbrewing.com/

Rochester:
http://www.beersoftheworld.biz
http://www.custombrewcrafters.com

Horseheads:
http://www.horseheadsbrewing.com

Utica:
http://www.saranac.com

Just about anywhere you can find a Wegman's grocery store you'll find a lot of good local microbrews:
http://www.wegmans.com

If you really keep going up 81:
Sackets Harbor:
http://www.1812ale.com/

Hope it helped!

+1 to this list!

Wow.. I cannot believe that noone has mentioned Yuengling yet. If you're going through PA, definitely pick some up. It's America's oldest brewery! I can't really say that it's my FAVORITE beer, but I do look forward to drinking it when I make my way out to PA or NY. Unfortunately, it's not sold here in Ohio.

That's the first beer I thought of.... Every time I drive to Baltimore to watch the Orioles and Red Sox play a series I make sure to do two things besides attend the games: Stop off and grab some Yuengling and visit the Basilicas.

Great city Baltimore is; too bad such a huge portion of the population is always suffering economically though.

I don't know if they sell Shipyard as far south as New York. But, I'd say Shipyard is hands down the best brewery in America.

Actually, the poster who said that you can't buy beer in Pennsylvania grocery stores is not entirely correct. A few grocery store chains have broken the code on beer sales. If you are in a position to divert to I-95 instead of 81, then go past Philadelphia by means of I-476 (you can link back up with I-81 by staying on 476 up into the Poconos).

Get off of 476 at Plymouth Meeting and go to the Whole Foods at Plymouth Meeting Mall. They have an absolutely great selection of take out six packs. These include a solid sampling of beers from pretty much every craft and micro brewery within 100 miles or so of Philly (and this is a LOT of breweries), plus a very nice selection of beers from all over the country. They also have a nice selection of imports, especially Belgians (which are big in the Philly area). They had a liter bottle of Saison DuPont for about $7.00, which, I was told, was an incredible bargain. All of these are at reasonable prices.

They also have three beers on tap and will sell and/or fill growlers (plus wine, if you are interested in that). I've seen draft beers there that simply are not sold outside of the brew pubs where they are made (Manayunk Brewery's California Pale Ale comes to mind).

The one nod you will have to make toward Pennsylvania's beer laws is that you can only buy two sixes at a time. But the staff is very polite and helpful about explaining how you can buy all the beer you want and still comply with the law.

All this talk makes me think I'll make a run up there today - it's about four exits up 476 from me.

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/storesbeta/plymouthmeeting/

I used to always recommend Total Wines in Wilmington for their selection, plus the Whole Foods beats them, plus their whole beer room is chilled and has indirect lighting - very respectful of the beers.

Goose Island out of Chicago seems to have picked up a few East Coast distributors, it started showing up in the Boston area a couple months ago.

If you can find it in the stores in NY, bring some back with you - not sure if they are distributing in the south yet.

That's the first beer I thought of.... Every time I drive to Baltimore to watch the Orioles and Red Sox play a series I make sure to do two things besides attend the games: Stop off and grab some Yuengling and visit the Basilicas.

Great city Baltimore is; too bad such a huge portion of the population is always suffering economically though.

I don't know if they sell Shipyard as far south as New York. But, I'd say Shipyard is hands down the best brewery in America.

I'd say Shipyard's at best the 4th best brewery in Portland, Maine--that's no knock on them, as things like their Longfellow Porter and the winter warmer (Prelude) are really great brews, but Portland is one of the premier brewing cities in the country.

1. Allagash is possibly the best brewery in America, and certainly the top wild ale and one of the top 2-3 Belgian-style brewers around (Russian River, Stone, and Bell's are near the top of my list, too, and Cigar City may be eking its way onto that list).

2. Maine Beer Company is equally awesome; they don't have very large production, but almost every beer they make is carefully crafted and very interesting. Their Peeper Ale is a truly fantastic American Pale, Zoe's a great Imperial Amber, and the Mean Old Tom (if you can find it) hangs with the best American Stouts. Novare Res in Portland is the place to look for them.

3. D.L. Geary's is the company that Shipyard tries to emulate, but Geary's is the original and does it just a bit better. Both have an All-fuggles pale ale as their flagship brew, but Geary's were the ones who traveled to England to study brewing back in the day and cultivated the fuggles crops in Maine, and they're still a little ahead of the game on how their beer tastes to this day.

Geary's, incidentally, is the oldest microbrewery in America east of the Rockies, so it's also got that historical interest going for it!

Shipyard and Casco Bay would round out the top 5, I'm not sure in what order (and talk about 2 breweries that have great winter warmers!)

Bar Harbor, Sheepscot, and Maine Coast Brewing would all be right up there with Shipyard if we extended discussion to the rest of the state.

And, of course, anyone going to Portland must visit the Great Lost Bear and Novare Res if they care at all about beer. The Bear, in particular, is a fantastic beer-lover's dream--60-70 taps with a really great selection that's heavy on local New England brews but always has a selection of great beers from around the world too, and good food to accompany them in a great beer environment.

Thanks for all the replies! Wish I had seen some of these before I left, but there is always the next trip.

For the record, I stopped at a beer store in NY and picked up a sixer of Troegs HopBack, a sixer of Southern Teir IPA and a bomber of Troegs Java Stout. I would've liked to have gotten more but the selection at the store I found wasn't amazing.

I would've loved to hit a few breweries but was in such a rush I didn't get a chance to. Trying to drive 1400 miles in 2 days is pretty draining. The next trip I plan to spread it out over 3 or 4 days and take the more "scenic" route.

Actually, the poster who said that you can't buy beer in Pennsylvania grocery stores is not entirely correct. A few grocery store chains have broken the code on beer sales. If you are in a position to divert to I-95 instead of 81, then go past Philadelphia by means of I-476 (you can link back up with I-81 by staying on 476 up into the Poconos).

Get off of 476 at Plymouth Meeting and go to the Whole Foods at Plymouth Meeting Mall. They have an absolutely great selection of take out six packs. These include a solid sampling of beers from pretty much every craft and micro brewery within 100 miles or so of Philly (and this is a LOT of breweries), plus a very nice selection of beers from all over the country. They also have a nice selection of imports, especially Belgians (which are big in the Philly area). They had a liter bottle of Saison DuPont for about $7.00, which, I was told, was an incredible bargain. All of these are at reasonable prices.

They also have three beers on tap and will sell and/or fill growlers (plus wine, if you are interested in that). I've seen draft beers there that simply are not sold outside of the brew pubs where they are made (Manayunk Brewery's California Pale Ale comes to mind).

The one nod you will have to make toward Pennsylvania's beer laws is that you can only buy two sixes at a time. But the staff is very polite and helpful about explaining how you can buy all the beer you want and still comply with the law.

They haven't broken any laws. They just found a loop hole, so to speak, around the law. Restaurants are allowed to sell beer by the 6-pack, but only 2 at a time (I think is the limit). Grocery stores simply put a restaurant-type area in the store and that allows them to sell beer. Around here, 1 hr N of Philly, Wegman's grocery stores sell beer and they have a pretty decent selection.

For you PA brewers, if you are interested in helping change the beer sales law please visit www.freemybeer.com The Sheetz gas station chain is trying to push for a change in the beer sales law. As of right now a new law has been drafted and is going to be, or has been, placed before the House. If you sign the petition the website helps you contact your local state rep.

Finally, Weyerbacher is brewed in Easton, PA. Which is located just across the Delaware River from Phillipsburg, NJ (a literal stone's-throw away). Wegman's carries 4 or 5 of their beers.

3. D.L. Geary's is the company that Shipyard tries to emulate, but Geary's is the original and does it just a bit better. Both have an All-fuggles pale ale as their flagship brew, but Geary's were the ones who traveled to England to study brewing back in the day and cultivated the fuggles crops in Maine, and they're still a little ahead of the game on how their beer tastes to this day.

Geary's, incidentally, is the oldest microbrewery in America east of the Rockies, so it's also got that historical interest going for it!.

I agree whole-heartedly with your list, but I also have a correction on your information about Geary's. Geary's was indeed the first microbrewery in the Northeast, but it was Alan Pugsley of Shipyard Brewing that was responsible for establishing the English-style of brewing to both the US, most nobably the Portland,ME area.

Alan Pugsley first worked with Peter Austin at the original Ringwood Brewery in England before coming to the US. Before starting Shipyard, Pugsley worked as a contractor bringing English-style brewing methods/equipment to places like Geary's, Gritty's McDuffs and Magic Hat. Pugsley then went on to cofound Shipyard Brewing where he remains head brewer/co-owner today. Beers such as Casco bay and Tremont are separate brands, but brewed by Shipyard.

So although the Geary's did travel to England and all that, it was Pugsley that really brought the English brewing methods to Geary's (and pretty much every other brewhouse in the area. (exceptions being Allagash and Maine Brewing Company).

Yeah, PA still has these weird distribution laws that makes some of the distribution laws in the bible belt look sane. You have to go to special drive up beer stores that only sells cases of beer: so their selections are nothing special. Bars are the only places that can sell singles....though I've never found a beer lover's bar when visiting PA. My dad's side of the family is from Pittsburgh, so I've tried Iron City beer. They're fairly good, but nothing I'd go out of my way to try.

I've found a few good beer lover's bars in PA. Specifically Bocktown Beer and Grill in Pittsburgh, it's in the same shopping center as the Target near Robinson Center. The other's in Lititz, it's styled after an English pub, it recently opened but I can't remember the name. They both have quite a few taps that rotate different Microbrews, the one in Lititz has hand pumped cask ales.

I agree whole-heartedly with your list, but I also have a correction on your information about Geary's. Geary's was indeed the first microbrewery in the Northeast, but it was Alan Pugsley of Shipyard Brewing that was responsible for establishing the English-style of brewing to both the US, most nobably the Portland,ME area.

That's basically right. I guess the question is how much did the Geary's learn in England vs. how much Pugsley brought to the table, and ultimately the answer is that it doesn't much matter--together they built a heck of a brewery, and both deserve credit for pioneering craft beer.

Beers such as Casco bay and Tremont are separate brands, but brewed by Shipyard.

Casco Bay is really a separate brewery, though they were recently bought by Shipyard. They were founded by a homebrewer back in 1994 under the Katahdin name, but he was bought out by Bryan Smith 1998 and Bryan's the one who renamed them to Casco Bay and really got them going as a major business. He put a big emphasis on not doing the English-influenced brews that Geary's/Shipyard/etc do, and uses American yeasts and west-coast hops (except for the lagers, where he imported a German lager yeast to get those going). That's still apparent in most of their lineup.

In the early 2000s, they started doing a lot of contract brewing under other names (for Sugarloaf and others).

Shipyard bought them in 2008, but their brewing still happens at their own 57 Industrial Way brewery in Portland. Shipyard helps with marketing and distribution, and I'm sure they're coordinating product lines and such going forward.

Back