Wheat extract instead of pale - oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddO

Reaction score
Midway through a boil and just realized that the 4lb LME which was supposed to be pale extract is actually wheat. (was) Making a pale ale - heres the recipe

3lbs 2 row
1/2lb honey malt
1.5 lbs vienna
.5 crystal 60
.5 biscuit
partial mash adding the 4 lbs LME at knockout. Again, just realized I have wheat malt and I am almost to boil. Never used wheat extract before. Is this going to be nasty?

hops:
3/4 oz galena bittering
centennial for aroma etc.

Any thoughts quick would be appreciated. I cant really do anything about it at this point but would like to know if I am making a nasty beer upfront. Kinda bummed.

Thanks~

Won't be nasty. Just won't be a pale ale. Finish it up and odds are you'll love it. Mistakes like this often end up good in the end.

edit: What yeast are you using?

Hey cat,

Thanks for the response - actually this is (was) a tweak of your KABE recipe. I brewed your recipe but ended up with a gusher infection in it. Had to dump it all but actually brewed it again and just bottled it last week. Will let you know how it turns out.

I am using SAF05 for this. With the wheat malt something else probably would have been better but.. Not a wheat beer fan for the most part but I do occasionally like a hefe. Oh well.

Looks like you are making a nice American Wheat Ale. Should be ready just in time for summer. Good planning ;) Wheat ales are usually not hopped aggressively, you might just want to use the Centennial in place of the Galena at the beginning of the boil and save the Galena for another time. An oz. of Centennial should be enough.

Shoot. Already dropped the Galena. .75 oz. Have an ounce of centennial left.. Was going to split it at 15 and 5. Should I?

If it were me? I would. Nice bit of citrusy hop flavor to go with the wheat. Imagining my Kabe's Secret as a wheat beer... sounds kinda tasty actually. Wheat... honey malt... Centennial hops... you might be on to something here.

Cool. Done and done. Thanks for the input and putting me somewhat at ease. Will update when it's drinkable.

Cheers~

Back